Q. I got fungal infection between fingers and nails. Will steroid cream help?

Dr. Charu Bansal

I was diagnosed with fungal infection in hand fingers for more than six months. I was taking treatment with more than four different medicine for about a month long for each medicine but it was not cured. My physician said it was due to the winter season and also advised me to do not use detergent or any other cleaning products even if I maintained this and complete the treatment for a month after withdrawing the treatment with the doctor permission it would appear again.

It was on the fingers near the nail and also between the fingers joints with water blisters it oozes out then dry and cracks. It hurts like burn some time especially when I use my finger to touch or peel onion or ginger or garlic it aggravates. Since it was lockdown I cannot go to the hospital and the doctor asked me to use the ointment until it looks normal then told me to stop using it. I followed him but after stopping it appear again but I do not know whether I could apply the same ointment which I used for treatment for two months because he said it will make the skin thinner.

#

I have read your query and understood your concern. As per history and pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems to be allergic contact dermatitis to me. Such condition tends to recur very often. I would advise you to kindly use double-layered gloves always while doing household work using detergent or chemical.

Since long term use of such creams make the skin thinner so it is advised to continue the creams containing steroids like Clobetasol, Halobetasol for a week followed by maintenance therapy meaning apply the creams over weekend like Saturday and Sunday.

While active disease, you may use oral anti-allergics like Levocetirizine 5 mg once daily in the night time for a week. Use ample amount of moisturizer to keep the skin hydrated.

You said to do maintenance therapy at the weekends so are you saying that I should use the steroid cream you mentioned continuously for a week afterwards at the weekends? For how many days or months should I use? How many times in a day? Should I immerse the hand in warm water before applying? Will it be cured completely? Is it contagious? Some times even if I wash my hands in plain water it hurts. What should I do?

#

You may continue to use for three to four weeks as maintenance therapy. I advise usually my patients to apply over the affected area twice daily. No need to put in warm water. Avoid chemical exposure. It is not contagious.

|