Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I am having open wound on the right breast and it grows. What could it be?

Answered by
Dr. Kakkar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 12, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am having an open wound on the underside of the right breast. I noticed it a few days back and is continuing to grow. I would like to know what it looks like and why I get an open wound in this location. I would also like to know if skin cancer can ever display in this way. I am using antibiotic cream for the same.

Obviously, I know that a diagnosis can not be given online without testing, but would just like to know by the looks of it.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology


Welcome to

I have viewed the image. (attachment removed to protect patients identity).

It seems like a furuncle which is a skin and soft tissue infection (SSTI) and which has now burst open.

I suggest you take an oral antibiotic, Amoxicillin, or Cephalexin for a week. Also, I suggest you use a topical antibiotic Neosporin ointment or Mupirocin 2% ointment twice daily.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

I did not feel or see any boil or lump before the open wound. What is the big white liquid circle in the middle? Is it pus? Are there any signs of it looking cancerous?

I have the antibiotics, but due to my virus and anemia, I have to consult my hematologist to take the oral antibiotics. Is it normal for SSTI to continue to grow over days?

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology


Welcome back to

The floor has a dirty yellow appearance due to pus.

A furuncle is usually painful and tender to touch, it can grow deeper, and when it bursts, it leaves a dirty yellowish crater. A furuncle can take 2 weeks or longer to resolve.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I have painful skin colored bump in penis. Could it be syphilis?
What can be the reason for recurrent boil?
Evaluation of Breast Problems That Women Can Do at Home
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Should I be concerned about breast lump?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old mother of a 11 months old. Today, I found a red, inflammation on the surface of left breast on the lower side. It is a lump kind of stuff. I am doubtful whether it is cancer. I did not see any other symptoms of breast cancer as other things look normal. I am so worried....  Read Full »

I tried to pop a pimple on my thigh and it turned into a large sore. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had what I thought was a pimple on my inner thigh. I tried to pop it, but it just got swollen and red. It has now been three to four days and it has turned into a large open sore. It is about 3/8 inches wide and only hurts when it rubs against clothing. I am attaching a picture of ...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for granulomatous mastitis.

Query: Hi doctor, I had an excisional biopsy of a lump just below my left breast last week. My biopsy report states that I have granulomatous mastitis. My surgeon has put me on an antibiotic called Claribid for three weeks. Please advice on the course of treatment.  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.