Q. I am having open wound on the right breast and it grows. What could it be?

Dr. Kakkar

I am having an open wound on the underside of the right breast. I noticed it a few days back and is continuing to grow. I would like to know what it looks like and why I get an open wound in this location. I would also like to know if skin cancer can ever display in this way. I am using antibiotic cream for the same.

Obviously, I know that a diagnosis can not be given online without testing, but would just like to know by the looks of it.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have viewed the image. (attachment removed to protect patients identity).

It seems like a furuncle which is a skin and soft tissue infection (SSTI) and which has now burst open.

I suggest you take an oral antibiotic, Amoxicillin, or Cephalexin for a week. Also, I suggest you use a topical antibiotic Neosporin ointment or Mupirocin 2% ointment twice daily.

| 

I did not feel or see any boil or lump before the open wound. What is the big white liquid circle in the middle? Is it pus? Are there any signs of it looking cancerous?

I have the antibiotics, but due to my virus and anemia, I have to consult my hematologist to take the oral antibiotics. Is it normal for SSTI to continue to grow over days?

Dr. Kakkar

#

The floor has a dirty yellow appearance due to pus.

A furuncle is usually painful and tender to touch, it can grow deeper, and when it bursts, it leaves a dirty yellowish crater. A furuncle can take 2 weeks or longer to resolve.

|