Q. I have painful skin colored bump in penis. Could it be syphilis?

Answered by
Dr. Sandeep Golla
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 23, 2019

Hi doctor,

I noticed a skin colored bump on the underside of my penis. It is round and a little less than one inch in diameter. It feels to be hard when pressed and pains a little when pinched. Could this be syphilis?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I saw your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your concern is furuncle. Start using T-bact ointment twice daily on the lesion and have plenty of water. This will help you. It is not syphilis.

Thank you doctor,

Today it is a little more red. Could you please explain why it is not syphilis, is it because syphilis bump looks different? It would help me to get peace of mind.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I have understood your concern. Primary syphilis will have an ulcer with enlarged lymph nodes. Secondary syphilis can mimic anything. Tertiary syphilis is very rare with the nervous system and vascular system involvement. In your case, there is clear peripheral skin resolving with pus drained punctum. This is a clear sign of resolving furuncle. Still, if you are in doubt get TPHA test done along with pus culture and sensitivity. This will rule out the doubt.

Hi doctor,

Thank you so much for your answer. I am not going for a test, I feel your answer suffices for me. I wanted to give you an update. I have been having an upset stomach, backache and body ache which started at around the same time I noticed the bump (which was a day before yesterday). Also on the day before yesterday, I had a terrible headache. Today I continue to have an upset stomach, lack of appetite and body ache. Does my condition have anything to do with the bump? And what treatment can I have for this?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

It may be just a coincidence. For stomach upset, have electrolytes regularly along with fluids. Avoid spicy food. For the resolving furuncle, start using Mupirocin ointment twice daily and avoid reverse shaving of pubic hair if you have that habit.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I tried to pop a pimple on my thigh and it turned into a large sore. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had what I thought was a pimple on my inner thigh. I tried to pop it, but it just got swollen and red. It has now been three to four days and it has turned into a large open sore. It is about 3/8 inches wide and only hurts when it rubs against clothing. I am attaching a picture of ...  Read Full »

Can Aleve and Goody's powder cause stomach upset?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had a migraine, so I took two tablets of Aleve. It did not work, so I took Goody's powder, but the pain was still there, so I took another one. The migraine pain has gone, but my stomach seems to be upset.  Read Full »

Can Eldopar be used for children?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has been experiencing some stomach ache since two hours. She went to the toilet and had loose stool, not exactly watery but loose. She is also complaining of vomiting feeling. Can I give her Eldopar? Is any antibiotic required for stomach infection? I have given her 5 mL of On...  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.