Q. I have painful skin colored bump in penis. Could it be syphilis?

Dr. Sandeep Golla

I noticed a skin colored bump on the underside of my penis. It is round and a little less than one inch in diameter. It feels to be hard when pressed and pains a little when pinched. Could this be syphilis?

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatology Venereology
#

I saw your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your concern is furuncle. Start using T-bact ointment twice daily on the lesion and have plenty of water. This will help you. It is not syphilis.

| 

Today it is a little more red. Could you please explain why it is not syphilis, is it because syphilis bump looks different? It would help me to get peace of mind.

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatology Venereology
#

I have understood your concern. Primary syphilis will have an ulcer with enlarged lymph nodes. Secondary syphilis can mimic anything. Tertiary syphilis is very rare with the nervous system and vascular system involvement. In your case, there is clear peripheral skin resolving with pus drained punctum. This is a clear sign of resolving furuncle. Still, if you are in doubt get TPHA test done along with pus culture and sensitivity. This will rule out the doubt.

| 

Thank you so much for your answer. I am not going for a test, I feel your answer suffices for me. I wanted to give you an update. I have been having an upset stomach, backache and body ache which started at around the same time I noticed the bump (which was a day before yesterday). Also on the day before yesterday, I had a terrible headache. Today I continue to have an upset stomach, lack of appetite and body ache. Does my condition have anything to do with the bump? And what treatment can I have for this?

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatology Venereology
#

Hi

It may be just a coincidence. For stomach upset, have electrolytes regularly along with fluids. Avoid spicy food. For the resolving furuncle, start using Mupirocin ointment twice daily and avoid reverse shaving of pubic hair if you have that habit.

|