Q. My 19-month-old son grinds his teeth and does not eat properly. Should I give him Albendazole?

Dr. Samir Bhatia
Hello doctor, my son is 19 months old .... He is grinding teeth most of the time ... Not eating at all...only one spoon after that he has feel of vomiting.... So am giving food with a long interval between every bite... Also we r giving only mashed foods... Previously he was taking 2 idlies.. now even half idli is difficult for him to finish.... One of my friends suggested me to give albendazole syrup ad his symptoms suggestive of worm infestation.... Can i give albendazole syrup ... If yes how many ml and his weight before two months was 9kgs ... Because of lockdown we didn't check his recent weight.... If no what medication can we give ... Please reply am really worried about his eating habits.... He became very thin comparing to before... Thank you in advance....  

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Samir Bhatia

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Hello, hope you are safe. Thank you for the elaborate history. I appreciate your concern regarding your child.

I would like to first tell you that grinding is a common phenomenal in children till 6 years most children outgrow it by 6 years. However at this age if he is grinding you can give him plenty of water

Positive feedback helps. And for more discussion regarding reward and positive feedback you can consult me on phone as it’s difficult to explain those things verbally

As for albendazole, you can give 400 mg once stat dose only repeat at 6 months interval.

Regards

| 

My 6 year old daughter is very weak and refuses to eat. Can I give her Albendazole?

Query: Hi doctor,I have two kids, an 11 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. They both frequently complain about pain in their legs, which gets very severe many times and settles on giving them Paracetamol. I feel my daughter is very weak physically, and she refuses to eat everything except junk food...  Read Full »

Please explain the treatment options available for teeth grinding and underbite.

Query: Hi doctor, What is the best mouth guard used for teeth grinding? What is the cheapest way available to treat underbite?  Read Full »

My 18 month old eats very less. Should I give him an appetite booster?

Query: Hello doctor, My 18 month old son is very choosy and eats very less. He eats everything one day and almost nothing another day. I am worried about his health. He frequently gets cold and congestion too. What can I do? Can I give him any appetite booster? What is the best food for him?  Read Full »