Q. My 19-month-old son grinds his teeth and does not eat properly. Should I give him Albendazole?

Dr. Samir Bhatia
This is a premium question & answer published on May 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2021

My son is 19 months old. He is grinding his teeth most of the time. He is not eating well and takes only one spoon. After that, he has a feeling of vomiting. I am giving food with a long interval between every bite. I am giving him only mashed foods. Previously, he was taking two idlis and now he is facing difficulty in taking half idli. One of my friends suggested me to give Albendazole syrup as his symptoms suggest worm infestation. Can I give Albendazole syrup? If yes, then please mention its dosage. Previously, he was in the weight of nine kilograms before two months and I have not checked his weight recently. I am worried about his eating habits. He became thin when comparing to before. What to do?

#

I understand your concern regarding your child. Grinding is a common phenomenon occuring in children till six years. Most of the children stop doing it by six years. If he has grinding after this age, you can give him plenty of water. For Albendazole, you can give him 400 mg at an interval of six months.

|