Q. I get gas often and it bothers me. Is it due to lactose intolerance?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

I get gas when I eat anything and I mostly notice it when I am in a quiet room because I get nervous and try to hold it in. I have to pass stools every morning to get it out of my system as best as I can. This sounds gross but it has been bothering me for three and a half years. I think I am definitely lactose intolerant because I get gas and pain when I have dairy. But some days I have fruit, vegetables, and bread and it still happens. I have a lot of exams coming up and I am so nervous, I do not want to fart in the test hall and I do not want to hold it in. I literally have to squeeze my butt so tight and my whole body tightens when I feel it coming. I get so embarrassed just thinking about it. I feel like I am the only person with this problem.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through all the data you have posted. Sorry that you are going through all this. Some points to be made clear are if you were congenitally lactose intolerant these symptoms would have been severe during childhood, as they are for three years this condition is unlikely.

Secondary lactose intolerance is more commonly associated with bacterial overgrowth which ferments and produce more gas. Avoid dairy products and take Rifaximin 550 mg 1-0-1 for seven days, this helps to clear the bacteria form gut and may help to decrease farts. If this does not help then, you need a detailed evaluation.

Secondary lactase deficiency.

Tablet Rifaximin 550 mg 1-0-1 for seven days.

Avoid dairy foods.

Kindly tell me the response after five days.

| 

What can be done for continuous bloating and farting?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 32 years old male. During the evening time, I started bloating and fart continuously. This is happening since last 6 to 8 months. I have high cholesterol and taking Rozavel 10. It is very embarrasing.  Read Full »

Is there any permanent cure for sugar allergy and lactose intolerance?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 71 year old male, and I am allergic to sugar and eating preparations containing sugar. If I consume sugary substances, I develop internal bleeding in the intestinal tract I presume. But I can tolerate fruits; they cause no problem. I am having this problem for the last 15 years. ...  Read Full »

What is the cause for yeast infection, gluten and lactose intolerance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30- years-old female. I have yeast infection and intolerance to gluten, lactose nuts, and other few things. I can not eat anything as everything hurts me. If I consume tea, some times I will have diarrhea, the other time I will become tired and have a high heart rate.  Read Full »