Q. I have stomach ache and bloating. Should I take a laxative?

Dr. Noushif. M

Starting Friday morning, I started to get stomach pain and a headache and my body felt week. I went home and slept for a couple hours and this seemed to help at first. That night I was up until 4 AM with terrible stomach pain and extreme bloating.

I took Mylanta and was able to at least fall asleep. I felt alright the next day until about midday and then started feeling the same symptoms with the addition of a sore throat. I have also been feeling a lot of neck and back pain.

My symptoms have included:

• Sore throat.
  • Headache.
  • Stomachache/ cramps in the abdomen.
  • Bloating.
  • Back and neck pain.
  • Heartburn.
  • Nauseous.
  • Belching.
#

Your symptoms cannot be specifically correlated to a single condition. However, it looks more like gastritis with acid reflux on the first note.

You can take acid-suppressing medicines like Pantoprazole 40 mg tablets once daily before food for one week. Can add tablet Ondansetron 4 mg twice daily before food.

Consider soft foods and more liquids for another three days.

If symptoms are persisting, can consider getting basic blood tests and an ultrasound scan of the abdomen.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I have not been able to relieve myself very much since Friday. Should I try taking a mild laxative?

#

No harm in taking a laxative. It is not indicated at present, however.

If unwellness persists get basic blood tests (complete blood count including platelet count, liver function tests, creatinine, amylase) and an ultrasound scan of the abdomen.

|