Q. Nothing seems to cure my stomach flu. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2021

A week ago, I woke up with an upset stomach, diarrhea, vomiting and rotten egg burps. I suspect it was due to a dairy product that I ate a day earlier. A few hours later, I ate some pasta, and everything started over again with diarrhea, vomiting, and the rotten egg burps. The next day, I started getting hiccups. I went to see a doctor who prescribed Imodium for diarrhea. I have not had loose stools since. He prescribed Motilium for the vomiting which did not work though. I can barely keep anything down even with the medicine. I spent two days drinking only water. To this day I am still getting these hiccups, and I must say it is discomforting.

Yesterday, I started having very little of clear broth soup which I am managing to keep down. I do not feel hungry, but I just want to eat. I do not feel nausea, just real discomfort when the hiccups come by, which is almost every hour. It is even disrupting my sleep. I should mention that I lost around 6 kg since the first episode. I also feel a lot of heartburn during the hiccups. The doctor ordered that I get my blood tested, along with an ultrasound. I am attaching both the reports here. I need a second opinion on what is going on, how long it might last, and what treatments I should be taking.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and they are within normal limits.

• Your description fits into acute gastroenteritis, that is, a stomach infection.
  • My recommendations would be the following:
  1. A combination of Ofloxacin and Ornidazole antibiotics to kill the infection.
  2. A combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone to calm your stomach, and help you with acidity and burps.
  3. Ondansetron 4 mg twice daily for vomiting.
  • Take these medications under the guidance of your doctor. I am sure your tummy flu will be fine within three days.
  • It is important now that we rule out jaundice.
  • So, I need to know if you are having a yellowish discoloration of the eyes and the urine.

Revert with more information to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Thanks for your help. I did have black stools back when I had diarrhea. As for the urine, it is normal and there is no yellowness in my eyes. I will check our local pharmacies for the medicines, but any advice on when I should take each of these medicines? What is the recommended diet I am supposed to be on for the next few days?

#

That is great. Then you probably do not have jaundice.

• I suggest you consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her, and start taking the following medicines:
  • Oflox Oz (a combination of Ofloxacin and Ornidazole) is to be taken twice daily after food.
  • Pantop DSR (a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone) should be taken daily on an empty stomach.
  • Tab Ondem (Ondansetron) 4 mg can be taken at any time.
  • You should take a soft, and bland diet. Avoid milk and dairy products as well as spicy and oily food for a few days.

If you have any further queries, please ask me.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|