Q. The lymph node on my neck is swollen, and I have diarrhea and headaches. Should I be worried?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Hi I recently noticed by lymph node on the left side of my neck began to swell and pain 2 days ago and it hasn't gone down. I also have been having chronic diarrhea for almost 2 days with a mild headache, night sweats, and congestion. Could this be a sign of a flu or illness? And should I be worried?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Hi!

There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about.

Tummy upsets with headache and congestion could be due to acute viral gastroenteritis. There could be an anerobic infection as well. You can consider the following treatment advice.

1. Tab metrogyl 400mg 8th hrly (morning, after and evening for next 1 week.
  2. Tab pan d (or its equivalent) one tab in the morning and evening 30 mins before food for next 10 days.
  3. Have a soft diet. Avoid junk, oily, cold food/beverages.
  4. Avoid smoking and alcohol.
  5. Keep sipping on boiled warm water every 2 hrs during the day.
  6. You can also consider taking a probiotic oncs in the morning and evening.
  7. Salt water gargling 8 to 10 times a day for 1 week during the day.

The lymph node in the neck could be due reactionary hypertrophy due to the current viremia and infection and there is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about. Your symptoms should come down in a weeks time failing which its always adviced to get your self examined by a physician.

I hope I have answered your query in detail. If there is anything more that you need to know ot enquire, please do let me know and we will get back to you ASAP.

Warm regards.

|