Q. The lymph node on my neck is swollen, and I have diarrhea and headaches. Should I be worried?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 27, 2021

I recently noticed that the lymph node on the left side of my neck began to swell, and there is pain for the past two days, and it has not subsided. I also have chronic diarrhea for almost two days with a mild headache, night sweats, and congestion. Could this be a sign of flu or illness? Should I be worried?

#

There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about. Diarrhea with headache and congestion could be due to acute viral gastroenteritis. There could be an anaerobic infection as well. I suggest the following treatment plan:

1. Tablet Metrogyl 400 mg (Metronidazole) eighth hourly for next one week.
  2. Capsule Pan-D (Pantoprazole) (or equivalent) one tablet in the morning and evening 30 mins before food for the next 10 days.
  3. Have a soft diet. Avoid junk, oily, cold food, or beverages.
  4. Avoid smoking and alcohol.
  5. Keep drinking boiled warm water every two hours during the day.
  6. You can also consider taking a probiotic once in the morning and evening.
  7. Saltwater gargling 8 to 10 times a day for one week.

The lymph node in the neck could be due to reactionary hypertrophy to the current viremia and infection. Your symptoms should come down in a week, failing which it is always adviced to get yourself examined by a physician.

I hope I have answered your query in detail. If there is anything more that you need to know, please do let me know, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Warm regards.

|