Q. Why do I feel a bubbling sensation in my chest while sitting or lying down?

I am a 32 year old male, I have been to the ER twice in the past two weeks for a bubbling sensation that starts at the base of my sternum and goes up my esophagus, mostly when I am sitting or lying down. On the first visit they did a complete blood workup, EKG, and x-ray, everything was normal. They said it was GI related. I went back to the ER today because I had the same feeling. They took my vitals which were fine, and I had no pain when they pressed my stomach. I was prescribed Omeprazole 40 mg twice daily and Citalopram 20 mg once daily. Two weeks ago, when I was monitoring my neck pulse, I could not feel the pulse when I had the bubbling sensation. Once the feeling is gone, I can feel my pulse again. I am also under medication for anxiety disorder and acid reflux. What is wrong with me?

Dr.Sagar Ramesh Makode
MBBS., MD, GENERAL MEDICINE ., DM, CARDIOLOGY(SENIOR RESIDENT
Cardiology, General Medicine, Internal Medicine

• Did you have the same feeling during the ECG? Do you have any symptoms like dizziness, upper abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, bloating and burping?
  • The feeling that you are having may be due to acid reflux, but then you would have a burning feeling.
  • There is a possibility of cardiac arrhythmias like atrial fibrillation or intermittent premature ventricular contractions (PVC). If you have symptoms on a daily basis, you should get Holter monitoring done.
  • If all the cardiac tests are normal, then continue with the acid reflux treatment.

Revert back with more details to a cardiologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

* expert medical advice guaranteed.

Ask a Cardiologist »
* expert medical advice guaranteed.