Q. Why do I feel a bubbling sensation in my chest while sitting or lying down?

Image: Why do I feel a bubbling sensation in my chest while sitting or lying down?

I am a 32 year old male, I have been to the ER twice in the past two weeks for a bubbling sensation that starts at the base of my sternum and goes up my esophagus, mostly when I am sitting or lying down. On the first visit they did a complete blood workup, EKG, and x-ray, everything was normal. They said it was GI related. I went back to the ER today because I had the same feeling. They took my vitals which were fine, and I had no pain when they pressed my stomach. I was prescribed Omeprazole 40 mg twice daily and Citalopram 20 mg once daily. Two weeks ago, when I was monitoring my neck pulse, I could not feel the pulse when I had the bubbling sensation. Once the feeling is gone, I can feel my pulse again. I am also under medication for anxiety disorder and acid reflux. What is wrong with me?

MBBS., MD, GENERAL MEDICINE ., DM, CARDIOLOGY(SENIOR RESIDENT
Cardiology, General Medicine, Internal Medicine

• Did you have the same feeling during the ECG? Do you have any symptoms like dizziness, upper abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, bloating and burping?
  • The feeling that you are having may be due to acid reflux, but then you would have a burning feeling.
  • There is a possibility of cardiac arrhythmias like atrial fibrillation or intermittent premature ventricular contractions (PVC). If you have symptoms on a daily basis, you should get Holter monitoring done.
  • If all the cardiac tests are normal, then continue with the acid reflux treatment.

Revert back with more details to a cardiologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Query: Hi doctor, I recently observed that my heart rate (including the resting one) is high. Resting rate is between 75 to 85 beats per minute and an average brisk walking rate is around 115 to 120 beats per minute. When I was unaware, I lived a perfectly normal life with 15 to 16 active hours. However, ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your heart rate, it is fine to have a resting heart rate of 75 to 84 beats per minute. It does not signify any major abnormalities. Exercise, stress, anxiety, smoking, caffeine can certainly lead to pulse rate elevation. So, as you mentioned, your ECG (elec...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if an implantable cardioverter defibrillator can cause AFib. Please explain.  Read Full »
Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Implantable defibrillators are implanted to terminate an episode of atrial arrhythmia. AFib (atrial fibrillation) is also a type of atrial arrhythmia. The ICD not only provides treatment for atrial arrhythmias, but also provides treatment for ventricular arrhythmias, as ...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor,I was not prescribed by my doctor to have Potassium chloride tablet. But, I had one tablet per day for the past two days. Is it fine to take? What will be the side effect? Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Potassium chloride tablet should not be taken without monitoring. Serum potassium level should be done once in every three days. Hyperkalemia (elevated level of potassium) is a very dangerous thing. It can precipitate many sorts of arrhythmias (abnormal heart b...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 12 years old, very active, plays representative basketball and attends a sports high school. Last Sunday, he was knocked over while playing and hurt his arm. After getting up, he fainted. He was fine after that. There were no broken bones, but the medical center did an ECG, and...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ECG (electrocardiogram) is showing incomplete RBBB (right bundle branch block) or early RBBB and features of left ventricular hypertrophy, and also heart rate is on lower side nearing 60 beats per minute. But as you mentioned, he is a basketball player. So, athle...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, There is pain under Adam's apple a little to the left. I have a history of acid reflux. There is a pain in the throat with acid reflux. I did see an ENT about two years ago. Everything was fine except for swollen vocal cords due to the acid reflux. I also had thyroid studies and ...  Read Full »
Dr. Manu Wilfred

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Gastroesophageal reflux disease typically presents with heartburn and regurgitation. Extraesophageal symptoms include a sore throat, hoarse voice, feeling of food stuck in the throat, chest pain etc. Upon examination of the throat, the finding of swollen vocal cords...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male who has been experiencing some symptoms related to my voice and throat. For the past few months, my voice has not been as deep as it has always been. If I try to lower it to how it was before, it takes a lot of effort and still does not sound right. I am constantly...  Read Full »
Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) does cause this something stuck in throat feeling, but more importantly you have stress. Stress does cause GERD and such change in voice which you have. The inability to speak as before is due to stress and this in turn is increas...  Read Full »

Managing Sciatica Pain with Physiotherapy
Why is there a feeling of windpipe compression in a pregnant patient?
Can Ovral G be used as an emergency contraceptive pill?

Also Read Answers From

Ask a Cardiologist »