Q. Do I have pseudocholinesterase deficiency based on the blood results?

Dr. Sukhdev Garg
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am hoping someone can tell me if I have pseudocholinesterase deficiency based on the blood results below? My father has it and found out the hard way after surgery. His sister also has it. The results from my blood test were:

• Cholinesterase, serum Result: 2228 L Reference range: 2673-6592 IU/L
  • Cholinesterase W/DIB INH cholinesterase, serum Result: 2228 L Reference range: 2673-6592 IU/L
  • Dibucaine number Result: 81.3 L Reference range: 81.6-88.3 % Inhibit

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

Anesthesiology General Practitioner
#

You may have atypical pseudocholinesterase deficiency due to a heterozygous mutation which is hereditary. Pseudocholinesterase is an enzyme responsible for the metabolism of certain anesthetic drugs like succinylcholine and ester group of local anesthetics.

Your Dibucaine number is 81 that is quite normal. But still, some drugs can be avoided if you require anesthesia. It is not like you cannot have a surgery. If you have a surgery in the future, please tell your anesthetist about this so he will be more careful in choosing drugs.

I hope this lessens your worries to some extent.

For more information consult an anesthesiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/anesthesiologist

|