Q. Do I have pseudocholinesterase deficiency based on the blood results?

Dr. Sukhdev Garg
Published on Feb 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am hoping someone can tell me if I have pseudocholinesterase deficiency based on the blood results below? My father has it and found out the hard way after surgery. His sister also has it. The results from my blood test were:

• Cholinesterase, serum Result: 2228 L Reference range: 2673-6592 IU/L
  • Cholinesterase W/DIB INH cholinesterase, serum Result: 2228 L Reference range: 2673-6592 IU/L
  • Dibucaine number Result: 81.3 L Reference range: 81.6-88.3 % Inhibit

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

Anesthesiology General Practitioner
#

You may have atypical pseudocholinesterase deficiency due to a heterozygous mutation which is hereditary. Pseudocholinesterase is an enzyme responsible for the metabolism of certain anesthetic drugs like succinylcholine and ester group of local anesthetics.

Your Dibucaine number is 81 that is quite normal. But still, some drugs can be avoided if you require anesthesia. It is not like you cannot have a surgery. If you have a surgery in the future, please tell your anesthetist about this so he will be more careful in choosing drugs.

I hope this lessens your worries to some extent.

For more information consult an anesthesiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/anesthesiologist

| 

Why does my pain radiate from back to thigh?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old woman. I am suffering from a radiating pain that spreads from back to the lower half of the body. I have this issue since a year. It aggravates when I ride bike. Occasionally, the pain may also radiate upward. If I keep hard item then I get some relief. I am takin...  Read Full »

Is it safer to take Zoloft after inguinal hernia operation under general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor,I am about to have an open inguinal hernia operation after 15 days. I have been having terrible anxiety leading up to it. I went to my PCP today and informed him of this. He prescribed 25 mg of Zoloft for me. I have read that it takes a month for Zoloft to work. Also, I have read that Z...  Read Full »

How to increase head size?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old girl, and I am 5.7 feet tall. My head circumference is 53 cm and only 6 inches long. As you probably understand from those facts that my head is extremely small. Compared to my body my head looks tiny. It also looks small when compared to other girls who are my age...  Read Full »

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now