Q. What should I opt for a nervous person a nerve block or general anesthesia?

Dr. Balaramareddy
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 17, 2019

I want to know what procedure is better for a nervous person? Twilight with nerve block or general anesthesia?

Dr. Balaramareddy

Anesthesiology General Practitioner
#

Fibula is lower leg bone for that usually they will give anesthesia called spinal anesthesia in which injection is given to your spine at your lower back, that is simple, and pain free surgery can be done and only your two legs will have anesthesia another full body will have senses you can see, feel, talk and everything will be normal after four to five hours your legs will lose anesthesia, and you can start feeling them.

If you are terrified and having the anxiety of operation, you can ask for spinal anesthesia and sedation so that you can happily sleep. General anesthesia for this surgery is not a good option because they will anesthetize full body and you will be connected to an artificial ventilator, and it will support your breathing. My choice is to go for spinal or block.

How can I manage nervousness and forgetfulness?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having a problem. I get nervous so fast and think a lot and worried all the time and I cannot remember things. I am also having fear of talking to people and I am losing weight and sometimes I cannot breathe. And also have (irritable bowel syndrome). I cannot live a happy life.  Read Full >>

Dr. Anil Kumar Kumawat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand and empathize how you feel in day-to-day activities. The more you have to understand is you have to face problem step by step, like if you have fear talking to people then start it with imagining them on call then with one person, two person and so on....  Read Full

Can I get a spinal block for laparotomy instead of general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with a 13 cm complex cyst in left ovary and have a laparotomy (small 3 to 4 inches vertical incision under my belly button to get rid of ovarian cyst) coming up and I would feel so much better if I could just get a spinal block instead of general anesthesia. I ha...  Read Full >>

Dr. Yatish Anant Jadhav
Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Spinal anesthesia is good for surgeries below umbilicus eg., pelvic surgeries, and ovarian cyst as in your case. But the size of your cyst is large, more than 10 cm and it is a complex cyst (not simple) which would mean surgeon may have to see other intrabdominal struct...  Read Full

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now