Q. Celexa is not working now for my 12 year old girl with GAD. Why?

Dr. K V Anand
Published on Oct 21, 2017

My 12 year old girl has been on Celexa from the age of seven years for GAD. She has been on 20 mg for the past three years. It has worked well for the anxiety and mood regulation. She has been irritable and angry with some depression for the past six months. Would you think we should look at changing the medications? Should we go for an add-on medication or increase the dosage of the current one? She is also taking Synthroid, Singulair, and Benadryl. Thanks.

Dr. K V Anand

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

Thanks for the question.

Generalized anxiety disorder is a simple anxiety disorder which is very easy to treat with medicines if it is combined with psychotherapy and progressive counseling. Medicines alone cannot cure it.

Celexa (Citalopram) used to help her in anxiety and mood swings is not working because she is 12 years now. There are many aspects to be looked into including the puberty onset and psychological changes that take place during the onset of adolescence. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder , ADHD also should be suspected.

I suggest not to worry much and consult your psychiatrist. The change of medicine is not needed for GAD but, should be assessed for ADHD or stress disorder.

I also suggest regular cognitive behavior therapy and progressive counseling through online medium.

Take care.

For further queries consult a psychologist counsellor online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

| 

Which would you recommend for anxiety, Buspar or Celexa?

Query: Dear Doctor, I am a 24 year old female, was prescribed with Celexa 20mg  once daily and Buspar 5mg twice daily for severe anxiety/panic attacks. Both of these medicines are SSRIs though, and I read about it online that everyone/every source says never to take them at the same time due to risk of ...  Read Full »

Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) - Symptoms, Signs, Causes, and Treatment

Article Overview: GAD patients worry excessively and persistently throughout the course of the day. They are constantly anticipating the worst about family, health, finance, and the future. Learn about the symptoms, signs, causes, and treatment of GAD. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

Generalized anxiety disorder is a mental illness where the persons have anxiety not just to particular situations but nearly every activity of the day. Symptoms Excessive worrying. Trouble falling and staying asleep. Muscle tension. Constant negative thoughts. Inability to relax or enjoy me-...  Read Article

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now