Q. How to treat genital herpes?

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2020

Hi doctor,

I have recently contracted genital herpes. I am having an outbreak, which scared me. I have blisters (vesicles) on the penis. I had a blood test done last week and this confirmed it. Please help me.



Welcome to

I have thoroughly reviewed your health query and can well establish the sensitivity of issues you have. Thanks for uploading the labs here for reference (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • Yes, both HSV-1 and HSV-2 are positive. You also mentioned the lesions on the external genitalia. In these circumstances, you need to remain focused on your health instead of thinking about embarrassment due to people around you.
  • If I was your treating physician, I must have prescribed you with Famciclovir 250 mg three times for 10 days. This drug works against viruses and I suggest starting it as soon as possible to avoid complications and prolonged course of disease. Your physician can help you better for the same.
  • If you feel pain in the back or on the genital area, you may take Ibuprofen 400 mg by mouth, as needed.
  • Avoid unprotected sexual intercourse as this will transmit the infection to your partner too.

For further information consult a general practitioner online -->

Thank you doctor,

Will the outbreak go away on its own?



Welcome back to

I appreciate your continued trust in my healthcare services.

  • Yes, the outbreaks usually go away on its own.
  • But, I suggest antiviral medications, especially if this is the first time of genital herpes. Antiviral medication helps reduce severity of lesions and keep your brain and spinal cord free of germs.

For further doubts consult a general practitioner online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Kindly interpret test results taken after erotic massage.

.. gone through your query and the reports attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Herpes 1 IgG positive indicates a history of herpes virus type 1 infection which is usually spread by oral contact and causes lesions in the facial ...   Read full

Would viral infection affect the lymphocyte and neutrophil values?

.. a viral infection, lymphocytosis can persist for seven to ten days. Your low neutrophils are relative, and it is because of increased lymphocytes. Platelet can be high because of inflammation or by iron deficiency anemia as a reactive thrombocytos...   Read full

I had oral sex. I am diagnosed with herpes type 1 & 2. I have flu like symptoms. Do I have HIV?

28 years, female, 2006 diagnosis DLBCL, after 8 rchop and radiation remission 2005 dhiarreas started, doctors said irritabile colon, 2006 - 2008 no dhiarreas (probably cause I was on high doses of medrol before and during rchop) 2010 dhiarreas are b...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
Nighttime Skin Routine for Clear Skin
A skin that gets all the attention during the day requires a chance to repair, rejuvenate and replenish from day damage ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Practitioner Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.