Q. How to treat genital herpes?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2020

I have recently contracted genital herpes. I am having an outbreak, which scared me. I have blisters (vesicles) on the penis. I had a blood test done last week and this confirmed it. Please help me.

#

I have thoroughly reviewed your health query and can well establish the sensitivity of issues you have. Thanks for uploading the labs here for reference (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Yes, both HSV-1 and HSV-2 are positive. You also mentioned the lesions on the external genitalia. In these circumstances, you need to remain focused on your health instead of thinking about embarrassment due to people around you.
  • If I was your treating physician, I must have prescribed you with Famciclovir 250 mg three times for 10 days. This drug works against viruses and I suggest starting it as soon as possible to avoid complications and prolonged course of disease. Your physician can help you better for the same.
  • If you feel pain in the back or on the genital area, you may take Ibuprofen 400 mg by mouth, as needed.
  • Avoid unprotected sexual intercourse as this will transmit the infection to your partner too.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Will the outbreak go away on its own?

#

I appreciate your continued trust in my healthcare services.

• Yes, the outbreaks usually go away on its own.
  • But, I suggest antiviral medications, especially if this is the first time of genital herpes. Antiviral medication helps reduce severity of lesions and keep your brain and spinal cord free of germs.

For further doubts consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|