iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDermatologygenital herpesI have an ulcer with fluid in my private parts. Please help.

HSV 1 and 2 are positive. But, my doctor says no treatment is required. Why?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 18, 2017
Reviewed AtFebruary 14, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am contacting you regarding some health issues. Recently, I got affected by some infection in the private parts, which looks like an ulcer with fluid. However, I neglected it and did not consult a doctor assuming it would be a simple urine infection. I then visited a gynecologist, and she asked me to take a swab and urine culture test. She just gave me a cream to apply, but it did not help. She referred me to a dermatologist, who did a check-up and asked me to test for HSV 1 and 2, both IgG and IgM. She gave me some tablets to take (antibiotic and antiviral). I am still on the medication. I will be completing it in another one or two days. Today, I got my report, and both the virus came positive. So, I consulted the doctor and asked for treatment. She said that there was no treatment needed as I was not having pain or itching. However, she said it would occur again in the future. My concern is if I am not going to be treated, how will I get cured? Can I have a call with you?

Answered by Dr. Sushil Kakkar


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have noted your concern.

You have genital herpes. It is a sexually transmitted disease and is caused by herpes simplex virus (HSV). There are two types of HSV - type 1 and 2. Your test is positive for both HSV type 1 and type 2. IgM positivity and IgG negative mean that it is a recently acquired infection.

Herpes simplex virus, once acquired, stays inside the body and may cause intermittent episodes of genital sores (recurrent herpes). The frequency and severity of the recurrences decrease with time. Treatment is required only during a clinical episode of genital sores. The treatment of individual episodes is with oral antivirals like Valacyclovir and Acyclovir.

You can call me via phone consultation facility.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sushil Kakkar
Dr. Sushil Kakkar


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy