Q. Are the brown and red bumps genital warts or molluscum?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 18, 2021

I want to know whether I have genital warts or something else. I have attached pictures. I am unsure whether it is a genital wart or molluscum. Some look brown and there is one presenting with redness and some white present in it. I have some brown ones and I thought it was birth marks. How to know whether these are genital warts or molluscum or something else?

#

I will go through the images and I will try to rule out the cause.

Kindly rule out the cause soon.

#

It does not look like warts. I want to know few things in detail. Please mention when you noticed it. Please mention whether it started with a single lesion and then progressed more. Please mention whether there is an increase in size. Please mention whether you are sexually active. Please mention whether it is painful with any discharge. Please mention whether there is a presence of any other swelling in the inguinal region.

I noticed them before a year. But I thought of it as a birthmark. The red ones are new ones. I remember that I see them for a long time. I think that there is a slight increase in size. They are painless with an absence of discharge and swelling in the inguinal region. I noticed them as bumps initially. How long will it take to subside?

#

According to history, it looks like boils. It occurs due to superficial bacterial infection that occurs in and around hairy parts of the body. These boils keep coming on and then become dry on themselves. Initially, they appear reddish, then they become pale slowly and then they shed off leaving a light-brown pigmentation. I suggest you observe them for a couple of weeks. Keep the area dry. You can use over-the-counter antibacterial dusting powder for three to four weeks on the affected region. It helps a lot. Have a follow-up at any time.

|