Q. What are the possible ways to get rid of genital warts?

Dr. Kakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 16, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I believe I am having a few genital warts, for which I tried some home remedies as well as wart freeze away recently. Why there is redness around them? What are the possible ways to get rid of it?

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Yes, those are genital warts (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is an STD caused by HPV infection. Surrounding redness is perhaps due to irritation to the home remedies that you have used. If I were the treating doctor, I would suggest either electrocautery or freeze with liquid nitrogen for these warts.

| 

Would Imiquimod help?

Dr. Kakkar

#

Yes, 5 % Imiquimod is also an option, but it can also cause irritation and redness, and you would need to give at least four to eight weeks of five times a week. Do applications of Imiquimod in night times. It is a prescription drug.

|