Q. Can I take PPI to treat gurgling caused due to GERD?

Dr. Noushif M
Published on Apr 23, 2019

I have reflux and GERD. Also a hiatal hernia. Sometimes I have gurgling in the stomach and into my throat. It is like a gurgling noise and a ticking noise if I hold my mouth open. I just started medium. Would you be worried or is this normal for reflex and the PPI should help?

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

PPI alone will not work. Need to add some pro motility medicines too. Also dietary modifications and lifestyle changes need to be considered consistently. If symptoms are worsening, then need to think of other measures. Would like to have a look at your endoscopy report before making further specific comments.

Please consider a review with your report.

I did not have an endoscopy. It was diagnosed through CT scan. It said hiatal hernia with gastric reflux esophagitis. He only gave me the PPI and just started it yesterday. Can this be enough if I change eating habits?

Dr. Noushif M

#

That is fine. You can continue PPI now. Start dietary changes too. You can consider endoscopy on follow up if symptoms recur or not improve.

Can severe acid reflux turn my teeth translucent, and cause gums to recede?

Query: Hi doctor, Lately, I noticed that my teeth are not the best looking. I had acid reflux. I looked up a lot of stuff about acid in the mouth, and looking at my teeth I think this is what is happening. My teeth started turning translucent two weeks ago. When I looked it up, it said that it could occur...  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms that you have explained are right. If you have acid reflux problem and in your case, it looks like there is too much of acid refluxing in your mouth from the stomach. This acid can erode your teeth making the enamel thin due to loss of minerals. I have common...  Read Full

Though I am on treatment for stomach pain, the pain persists. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had severe back pain and stomach pain two days ago. I visited my family physician, and he prescribed me Omcar 40 mg along with other medicines. He advised me to take Omcar 40 mg in the empty stomach daily morning, but I took it after lunch and dinner by mistake. Since last 3 hours, I a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Omeprazole (Omcar) and all other proton pump inhibitors are very safe medicines and can be taken for years without any side effect. As you are having pain, antispasmodics like tablet Cibis (combination of Clidinium, Chlordiazepoxide, and Dicyclomine) can be taken thrice...  Read Full

I have GERD. Can you suggest any treament?

Query: Hello Doctor, I have been suffering from stomach ulcer for the past 2 years. Till now the ulcer was not severe, but since few days I have been having stomach pain everytime after having food. Doctor diagnosed that, I have GERD. But even then I faced GERD problems rarely. But for the past 3 weeks ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. At the age of 24 year it is unlikely that you have ulcer in the stomach. It could be GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) that is causing all these symptoms, but after long time it may cause ulcer. If you are not responding to PPIs (Proton-Pump Inhibitors) then it co...  Read Full