Q. Does eating spicy food cause frequent burping in me?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 04, 2021 and last reviewed on: Feb 05, 2021

I am an 18-year-old female. I suffer from frequent burping that disturbs my airflow. But when I burp deeply, I have some relief. I experience this every night when I go to sleep. My stomach becomes bloated due to swallowing of air. I also experience some trouble in swallowing my saliva and I feel to have mucus in my throat. I also experienced heartburn once when I drank coffee. I was given Domperidone and Rabeprazole and I got better after taking them. But one day, I ate spicy food and after that, I started to have frequent burping again. I do not smoke or drink sodas and alcoholic drinks. I refrain from drinking iced teas. I also have anxiety. Please help me. I do not know what I am experiencing.

#

I understand your concern. It happens due to the overproduction of acids in the stomach and it occurs due to various reasons such as indigestion, eating smoked food, spicy food, smoking, and stress. It needs to be treated accordingly. You can have gastritis or gastric reflux disease. It can be easily treated by taking medicines and diet. I suggest you take Pantoprazole 40 mg before a meal for three days. Please avoid taking spicy food for some days and eat a healthy diet with soup and vegetables without adding spices to it. Please mention whether you are able to pass stool normally and you have a lot of gases in the abdomen and stomach pain. Please tell me to prescribe medicines accordingly.

It can be due to acids.

An X-ray abdomen should be taken.

It can be gastritis

It can also be GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).

You can take Pantop 40 mg (Pantoprazole) once a day before meal for three days.

Please avoid taking spicy foods.

There are times where I was not able to pass stools normally and I feel constipated. But I poop every day or every other day. I also had lots of gases on my abdomen. I had experienced mild pain in my stomach. But they are unnoticeable. I usually get pain in my stomach when I am not able to pass stools. I also have pain in my neck and shoulder blades.

#

You have a condition called GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) and continue taking Pantop (Pantoprazole) as I prescribed. If you have gases in the evening, then you can take Pantop in the evening also. When you have constipation, you can take syrup Lactulose 15 ml before sleeping and you will able to pass stool regularly. When the stool passage becomes regular, do not take Lactulose.

I have trouble in swallowing and there is tension in my neck and shoulders. I am taking Domperidone three times a day and Rabeprazole two times a day. I am getting better but still, I have tension around my neck. What is the possible cause? Why do I have this sudden acid reflux? Is it due to eating spicy foods and drinking sodas? This is my second time to experience acid reflux. Will eating spicy foods trigger it again even after taking medicines? Why do I have trouble in swallowing with neck tension and shoulder tension? Does my ear gets affected due to acid reflux?

#

Acid reflux can be caused due to eating spicy foods, stress, low physical activity, eating food in large quantities, drinking unwanted drinks such as soda and alcohol, and smoking too. It can be all of sudden and it can be treated with medicines easily. Shoulder tension and neck tension are not associated with acid reflux. Improper digestion can cause symptoms of acid reflux and avoid taking heavy meals for a while. Eat simple foods with vegetables and drink enough fluids. Do not go to bed just after eating. Go for a small walk. All these steps help to prevent acid reflux. Try to take your medicines regularly. If taking Rabeprazole helps you, then continue taking it. Neck and shoulder tension can occur due to bad posture and I suggest you sleep on a flat surface with low pillows. Apply Diclofenac gel or spray twice a day on the shoulder when you have pain.

|