Q. How do I cure the blocked ears and pain in my nasal area associated with GERD?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

I have anxiety which results in GERD. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning, I find that I get gastric vertigo. It is more prominent after large meals later at night. The following day I will have blocked ears and sometimes pain in my nasal area. The anxiety issue has been going on for many years, and with this, I get recurring ear issues. I am also a mouth breather, especially when I sleep. I have been to the doctors many times, and they prescribed Omeprazole which does help, especially in times of stress. But I was wondering if there is something I can take to help clear the middle ear or help with on and off eustachian tube dysfunction?

#

The eustachian tube dysfunction is a chronic problem. I do not recommend any medication until an endoscopic nasal examination is done since you are a mouth breather. The endoscopic nasal examination is mandatory to investigate a deviated septum, hypertrophied turbinates, enlarged adenoids, and nasal polyps. Anxiety is the leading cause of eustachian tube dysfunction. The more you control your anxiety, the more you can manage your eustachian tube dysfunction.

I had a nasal examination with a camera approximately five years ago. The ENT doctor said I have a type of asthma in my throat area. He prescribed me a nasal spray and some antiacid tablets for my stomach. The crackling in my ears seems to come and go. It is also related to food and anxiety.

#

You can continue the intranasal corticosteroid spray. The eustachian tube issue will come and go, and the spray can help you significantly control your problem.

Have you heard of gastric vertigo? To be honest, I have not taken it, and I cannot remember the name. I now live in a different country, so I was hoping I could get some advice on the name of the medication from you. Also, when my doctor said in GERD food particles can travel into the middle ear, I was quite surprised. Is that true doctor?

#

You can use Avamys (Fluticasone furoate) spray. It is a corticosteroid spray. I did not hear about gastric vertigo before, but I had studied that gastric acid reflux can harm the larynx, throat, and rarely the eustachian tubes. Food particles can regurge and enter the middle ear just in case of vigorous vomiting.

Thank you for the help.

#

You can ask your doubts any time. Regards.

|