Q. The girl I am going to marry is 33. Is it alright to wait for two years to plan a baby?

Dr. Megha Tuli
This is a premium question & answer published on May 18, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 28, 2022

I am 31 and I am going to marry a girl who is 33 years (two years elder to me). If we do not want to plan for a baby for one or two years after we get married, will she face any problems during pregnancy as she will be above 35 years? Also, will the baby have any problems growing up?

#

I went through your query and understand your anxiety.

Actually, the chances of conception and having a healthy pregnancy decrease after the age of 30. After 35, the risk of having babies with Down's syndrome increases significantly. So it is best advised medically to conceive sooner.

Both your health and medical parameters will be able to establish better on your chances of having a healthy pregnancy later on. Personally, I have had patients conceive naturally or with minimum medical help even at 35 and 40 and have had successful pregnancies and healthy babies. But, statistics do show that as the quality of sperm and ovum decline with age, so does the chance of conception and healthy pregnancy.

I hope this information has been beneficial. Let me know if I can help you in any other way.

|