Q. I am 7 months pregnant and my sugar level is fluctuating too much. What to do?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Nov 13, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 14, 2019

I am 7 months pregnant. My sugar is not constant and is fluctuating too much. I am taking insulin two times a day.

I have attached my file.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I read your query and gone through your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It appears that you have gestational diabetes and cord around the neck of the baby. Now, this is a complicated pregnancy and you must follow a senior gynecologist with an MD degree and significant experience in dealing with such complicated pregnancies because of the cord around the neck of the fetus.

Secondly, now I will come to the diabetes part. I saw that you are taking Novomix. However, during pregnancy, the insulin should be insulin Apidra 3-3-3 units during breakfast, lunch, and dinner and insulin Levemir 4 units before bedtime. You have to measure your blood sugar with a home checking glucometer and write your daily fasting, two hours post-meal, just before meals and before bedtime blood sugar chart and insulin taken. You must report that chart weekly to your diabetologist and get your insulin adjusted accordingly. If your blood sugar falls below 100 mg/dL then, you must eat something and report to your diabetologist immediately.

So I hope that you understand that you must seriously follow a senior MD gynecologist with experience in the pregnancy with a cord around the neck of the fetus which is a serious issue and change your type of insulin and follow up with the chart of blood sugar measurements weekly with the diabetes doctor. Please maintain a low carbohydrate diet and avoid sugar consumption in any form at all times.

Diabetes.

Blood sugar monitoring.

Gestational diabetes.

Gestational diabetes and cord around the neck of the fetus.

Insulin Apidra and Levemir.

Low carbohydrate diet.

Weekly with a diabetologist and to change to MD gynecologist doctor as well.

I had pregnancy diabetes. But, why is my sugar level shooting up even after pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, During pregnancy, I checked my sugar levels. It was very high. I consulted a sugar specialist. She gave me Glucophage 500 mg. In the seventh month, I used insulin. The doctor said that it is pregnancy diabetes and after delivery, it will get alright. But after delivery, my sugar ...  Read Full »

I take insulin, but my sugar levels are high. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, How are you? I am a 54 year old male. Nowadays, my sugar level is very high. Every day, I inject 28 units of insulin, 16 units in the morning before food and 12 units in the evening before food. But, my sugar levels are at 255 mg. I want to know if I should increase the shot of insulin...  Read Full »

Can I take Insulin to control blood sugar?

Query: Hi doctor,I am having high blood glucose. My fasting blood sugar is 153, postprandial is 175 and before dinner 152. My doctor advised Janumet 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Sulisent in the morning. Shall I take it? Presently, I am having Invokana 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Reclid...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now