Q. I have white spots on the left side of the gum and a small lump on my left chin. What to do?

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir

I have white spots on the left side of my gum and it hurts really bad. I have a sore throat and a small lump on my left side of my chin that hurts when I touch it. What do you think this is?

#

Regarding your short history, it seems that you may be having a gingival abscess or pericoronitis (if the last erupting tooth is involved). However, the picture of the lesion would have made things clear as to which site is involved and the state of the tooth involved (if it is carious or not). Still, it seems that you are having an infection and the lymph nodes are involved which relates the lump on the left side. The sore on the gum may be an aphthous ulcer or sinus opening as both are white, but sinus opening might be somewhat eruptive (nodule like). The sore throat is due to the infectious condition. So I think it might be a gingival abscess.

The treatment requires a regime of antibiotics, analgesics and mouth wash. You can take Amoxycillin 500 mg and Clavulanic acid 125 mg two times (BD) for five days. Ibugesic acid (Ibuprofen and Paracetamol) 400 mg twice daily for five days and Chlorhexidine mouth wash thrice daily for two weeks.

IOPA (intraoral periapical radiograph) to related tooth.

Pericoronitis, gingival abscess, periodontitis.

As mentioned above.

Upload a picture for proper diagnosis and treatment.

|