Q. I had a fluid-filled swelling on the gum and metallic taste in mouth. Why?

Dr. Tarun Gupta
Published on Nov 08, 2019

Last night I went to bed after feeling fine all day, and when I laid down I got a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. When I felt the bottom gum right at the back there appeared to be a fluid-filled swelling on the top of the gum (there are no teeth in that part of my mouth), and when I looked this morning there seemed to be a whitish cream colored lesion on the inside of the gum and a couple of tiny ones on the top of the gum near to where the swelling is. I contacted my GP, who prescribed a mouthwash over a phone (Benzydamine), saying that it sounded like an ulcer with the constant metallic taste. It kept me awake the whole night. But I am not really sure if I have somehow burnt my gum without even knowing?

Dr. Tarun Gupta

Dentistry
#

I read your query. The condition you wrote may be due to several reasons:-

1) Due to burning by hot drink is possible but usually, it is seen in the anterior (front) of mouth.

2) It can be aphthous ulcer which is normally seen in the mouth but they are painful.

3) Are you on any medication like antibiotics not specified in your question?

4) Ulcer may be due to some mouth dissolving medication which might have burnt that area.

5) It may be due to trauma by your toothbrush.

6) Any upper tooth impinging on that area can cause an ulcer.

7) Apply chlorhexidine gel twice or thrice daily locally.

8) Take a B-complex tablet or capsule twice daily for 10 days.

9) Take a proper diet and lots of water, avoiding extreme hot food or drinks.

If not resolved, feel free to consult again.

I have throat pain, but there is no actual swelling. How to treat this?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female. My symptoms are as follows: Intense throat pain while swallowing saliva. The pain radiates to the ear and sometimes, head and gives me a headache. Dry throat, especially in the area of pain. I also have a feeling of swelling in the throat, but the doctor said th...  Read Full >>

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It does not look like you got any malignancy to be worried. It does look like throat sore. Additionally, you might be having globus, which gives a feeling of throat swelling. I would suggest you to do gargles as prescribed and Benzydamine should help. Also, I suggest mul...  Read Full

Does canker sore make lymph node swollen?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old male. I have a canker sore. I was wondering if it is common to have a swollen right lymph node with tenderness, body pain, and tiredness along with the sore. Please explain.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cankersore also referred as aphthous ulcer, is a non-specific ulceration of non-keratinous mucous membrane of the mouth. The exact cause why these occur is not clear. Irritation of mucous membrane due to acidic foods and citrous foods could be a possibility. Pain is quite...  Read Full

What causes tongue scar?

Query: Hello doctor, A small scar appeared on my tongue with no pain or burning sensation. I tried vitamin supplement, but that has no effect. Now, it has increased to a greater extent. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have a condition called geographic tongue, which is self-limiting. There is no exact cause of the disease, but stress can cause this. I suggest you use Benzydamine mouthwash in concentrated form and continue multivitamin for months. Please let me know the mul...  Read Full