Q. I have reddish-pink, swollen and sore gums. What to do for it?

Dr. Prerna Jain
Published on Oct 17, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 21, 2019

One morning while I was eating at school, my gums behind my front teeth started to get sore. Was it because I scraped the inside of my mouth while I was eating? Or it was because of eating something hot? Anyways it has been three days, and my gums are still sore when I eat. My gums are reddish pink, swollen, and sore. This had happened once before, but it did not last for three days. My mom asked me to gargle with warm salty water, which I have been doing for the past three days. It worked a bit, and some of the swellings have reduced, but my gums are still sore. So what should I do now?

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

Well, you have guessed it right. It seems like the most common form of gum swelling by injury from eating either hot foods (typically cheese or soup, etc.) or from eating something hard and sharp.

Since a large area is injured, it will take up to a week to heal. If it continues beyond ten days, you can consult a dentist or oral surgeon.

Meanwhile, continue warm salt water rinses.

I suggest using a Chlorhexidine mouthwash twice daily for two weeks. It has antimicrobial properties, which will limit the chances of infection and help in faster healing. For relief from pain, you can apply an analgesic gel like Mucopain (Benzocaine 20 %) gel, 15 minutes before eating.

Why is my gum swollen at the back?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a swollen gum at the back of my last tooth on my left side. It feels like a new teeth is coming up and the pain sometimes extends to ear also. I can remember that I got this pain few years back on my right side and it went away by itself. What should I do now? What is the reason...  Read Full »

How can I manage painful swollen gums with ulcers caused by excessive brushing?

Query: Hello doctor, After trying to fix my general teeth and gums, I have managed to get rid of the yellow plaque after a few days. However, after brushing gums excessively, ulcers have appeared, and my gums have swollen slightly and are very painful. I was wondering how to fix them and how long it will t...  Read Full »