Q. Please suggest a medicine for swollen gums near the area of wisdom tooth?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I am 21 years old. I have got a swelling in gums near the area of wisdom tooth for the past three days. Now, it is paining a lot. Please prescribe any medicine.

#

I read through your complaint and the relevant details.

• The swelling of the gums is because of the infection around the erupting wisdom tooth. Also, there will be clogged food particles within the gums in that region.
  • To get rid of the pain, I suggest tablet Ketorol DT (Ketorolac tromethamine) 10 mg thrice daily for one or two days. For the first dose, dissolve one tablet in half a glass of normal water and drink it straight away. You will feel better in 15 minutes.
  • Also gargle with lukewarm salt water thrice daily. But, do not brush aggressively or rub salt over the gums.
  • However, there is a swelling. So, you cannot expect it to resolve itself because I have not suggested you antibiotics. It is better that you visit your nearby dentist, check an x-ray for the tooth and go ahead with the antibiotics treatment and wisdom tooth extraction accordingly.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

I have pain and bad smell coming from a wisdom tooth extraction site. Is it dry socket?

Query: Hello doctor, I had two wisdom teeth removed a week ago, and I still have some pain in the lower left extraction site. If I touch near the extraction site with a finger and then smell my finger, there is definitely a bad smell. I have controlled this with using another finger to touch the same place...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get wisdom teeth removed?

Query: Hello doctor, I have wisdom tooth. Is it necessary to remove it?  Read Full »

Is it better to get my two impacted wisdom teeth removed?

Query: Hi doctor, I visited a dentist and he completed deep cleaning of all four quadrants. I got composite fillings on one side of the mouth for five cavities (right side). However, I still have four cavities on the left side. I have two options. Wait for three more months and take care of it, as my in...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»