Q. Please suggest a medicine for swollen gums near the area of wisdom tooth?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Jun 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2019

I am 21 years old. I have got a swelling in gums near the area of wisdom tooth for the past three days. Now, it is paining a lot. Please prescribe any medicine.

#

I read through your complaint and the relevant details.

• The swelling of the gums is because of the infection around the erupting wisdom tooth. Also, there will be clogged food particles within the gums in that region.
  • To get rid of the pain, I suggest tablet Ketorol DT (Ketorolac tromethamine) 10 mg thrice daily for one or two days. For the first dose, dissolve one tablet in half a glass of normal water and drink it straight away. You will feel better in 15 minutes.
  • Also gargle with lukewarm salt water thrice daily. But, do not brush aggressively or rub salt over the gums.
  • However, there is a swelling. So, you cannot expect it to resolve itself because I have not suggested you antibiotics. It is better that you visit your nearby dentist, check an x-ray for the tooth and go ahead with the antibiotics treatment and wisdom tooth extraction accordingly.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I have pain and bad smell coming from a wisdom tooth extraction site. Is it dry socket?

Query: Hello doctor, I had two wisdom teeth removed a week ago, and I still have some pain in the lower left extraction site. If I touch near the extraction site with a finger and then smell my finger, there is definitely a bad smell. I have controlled this with using another finger to touch the same place...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get wisdom teeth removed?

Query: Hello doctor, I have wisdom tooth. Is it necessary to remove it?  Read Full »

Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Is it better to remove?

Query: Hi doctor, I visited a dentist and he completed deep cleaning of all four quadrants. I got composite fillings on one side of the mouth for five cavities (right side). However, I still have four cavities on the left side. I have two options. Wait for three more months and take care of it, as my in...  Read Full »