Q. Is medicine the only solution for gout?

I have gout, and my uric acid remains in the range of 8.5 to 9. Is medicine the only solution? I have not started any, but the doctor suggested Febutaz 40 mg. If I start my medicine and continue with my daily workout, is it fine to add a protein shake in my diet?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine

• You can start dietary restrictions initially, and if not responding, then you will have to use medicine. The risk of developing gout is increased with dietary meat and fish intake.
  • Consumption of dairy products, particularly low-fat dairy products, is associated with a substantially reduced risk of gout. Weight loss is of great help. Alcohol consumption should be reduced, as it increases gout episodes.
  • You can have a protein shake, as only animal protein like meat increases the risk of gout.

Hope this helps you, and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Are joint and knee pain symptoms of gout?

Query: Hi doctor, Over the last few weeks, my wife is suffering from joint pain in foot and right knee. When I search for this problem online, I found it as a symptom of gout. Can you please explain me about gout?  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.I have gone through your query and also looked at the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Initially, I would like to throw some information about gout. It is a condition of altered purine metabolism in the body in which crystals of monosodium urate d...  Read Full

Will taking protein powder in high quantities affect kidneys?

Query: Hi doctor, I heard that a high intake of protein powder will affect kidney functions (by forming kidney stones). Is it true?  Read Full >>

Dr. Suneetha B S
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Too much of any nutrient is not good for the body. But when you say 'high amount', it is a relative term. What seems 'high amount' to you may not be really high. If you think you are taking too much protein, please do mention what kind of protein you are taking and...  Read Full

Is it important to take Folic acid during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am currently pregnant seven weeks now. I had a missed miscarriage eight months back. I used to drink cheap Folic acid and Pregomega. I drank Pregomega up until the end of the last month. I stopped drinking the cheap Folic acid and started Inofolic on the first of last month. When I c...  Read Full >>

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A pre-pregnancy Folic acid requirement is there. Actually Folic acid is best to start three months in advance before conception. As soon as the lady misses her first period, an initial base of central nervous system had already been kept as neuropores close before 28...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now