Q. Is medicine the only solution for gout?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2019

I have gout, and my uric acid remains in the range of 8.5 to 9. Is medicine the only solution? I have not started any, but the doctor suggested Febutaz 40 mg. If I start my medicine and continue with my daily workout, is it fine to add a protein shake in my diet?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• You can start dietary restrictions initially, and if not responding, then you will have to use medicine. The risk of developing gout is increased with dietary meat and fish intake.
  • Consumption of dairy products, particularly low-fat dairy products, is associated with a substantially reduced risk of gout. Weight loss is of great help. Alcohol consumption should be reduced, as it increases gout episodes.
  • You can have a protein shake, as only animal protein like meat increases the risk of gout.

Hope this helps you, and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

Are joint and knee pain symptoms of gout?

Query: Hi doctor, Over the last few weeks, my wife is suffering from joint pain in foot and right knee. When I search for this problem online, I found it as a symptom of gout. Can you please explain me about gout?  Read Full »

Will taking protein powder in high quantities affect kidneys?

Query: Hi doctor, I heard that a high intake of protein powder will affect kidney functions (by forming kidney stones). Is it true?  Read Full »

Is it important to take Folic acid during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am currently pregnant seven weeks now. I had a missed miscarriage eight months back. I used to drink cheap Folic acid and Pregomega. I drank Pregomega up until the end of the last month. I stopped drinking the cheap Folic acid and started Inofolic on the first of last month. When I c...  Read Full »