Q. I have headaches, jaw pain, throat redness, and mouth sores. Please tell me a remedy.

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am 32 years old with a height of 6 feet and weight around 105 kg. But my body is fit, not bulky, and I have no other diseases. I do not drink or smoke, no junk foods and alcohol. No wine, no beer, etc. Only homely food. But, I eat chicken fry and red meat a lot. I recently did a thorough blood check-up, and no problems were found other than a bit uric acid and deficiency of vitamin D.

My problems are,

I used to eat a lot and drink only milkshakes daily for the past eight months. As lockdown came from that time, I have not gone outside. So I gained weight a bit. I had some tightness in my throat and acid reflux. I can see reddishness in the throat, and inflammation tissues at the back of the throat are like pimple or blister. So I consulted a physician, and this acid reflux got relieved, but the throat is still reddish. Then I consulted a gastroenterologist; he suggested an endoscopy, so did that, and nothing was found in it. He told it is mild reflux and gave two tablets, one for tension and another for acid reflux because I had insomnia for the past two months. I consumed it for 15 days, and then I was fine, but still, throat was reddish, and blisters are present. I took Rabeprazole and Levocetirizine.

Last month I had the same acid reflux and throat tightness. I consulted the ENT specialist. He told me that it might be due to pharyngitis, so he suggested two things one to test laryngoscopy or take medicines, one antibiotic for an infection, and reflux. I consumed it till today. Now it is finished, but sometimes I feel relaxed, and sometimes again, the throat is blocked.

My current symptoms are,

Headaches, chills (kind of fever) for five minutes, motion is fine, sometimes have jaw pain and throat reddishness, tightness, and blisters still present. My left ear is painful sometimes, maybe once in a day. I can feel something is stuck in my throat, and my stomach is growling. Sometimes mouth sores or gum swelling is present.

Your advice is valuable as I do not have any cough fever, no body temperature, and other problems; everything is fine. I do not want to get into unwanted tests in the hospital as nowadays, COVID-19 cases are increasing, and I am worried about going out. Please read my statements; it is my humble request.

Thanks.

#

As per your history, you have chronic granular pharyngitis with laryngopharyngeal reflux.

Chronic granular pharyngitis is an alteration in the pharynx's mucous membrane involving the mucous glands and the lymph follicles.

It is aggravated by allergens, viruses, bacteria, and reflux.

As your symptoms are constant, I would like to prescribe the following medications.

Treatment:

1) Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg + Montelukast 10 mg one tablet once daily at night for two weeks.

2) Tablet Domperidone (10 mg) + Pantoprazole (40 mg) one tablet two times a day in an empty stomach before meal for two weeks.

3) Syrup Tricaine Mps 10 ml three times a day for seven days two to three hours after a meal for seven days.

4) Gargle with Betadine (Povidone-iodine) 1% 10 ml mixed with 10 ml warm water three times a day for seven days.

5) Steam inhalation two times a day.

6) Avoid cold foods and allergens that aggravate your symptoms.

7) Avoid spicy and oily foods.

8) Try to sleep or lay flat in bed only after two to three hours after meals.

If there is no improvement after doing this, I will be adding you a nasal spray.

I hope this will help you.

|