Q. Can a swollen tonsil cause gagging?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Published on Aug 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2019

I possibly had mono five months ago. I did not get it confirmed with a test though. I felt better in two months. However, I was stressed a few weeks ago as I got a lump going from my uvula to my tonsil on one side of my mouth. I initially thought it was an allergy and left it. Two weeks went by and it did not go away. I went to my doctor and she said that she did not see anything. Although I felt she did not try hard enough and when I had stuck my tongue out she could not see it as well. So, it was a waste of money. Now, my tonsil on the other side is swollen. I was gagging a lot as my sister thought it was funny and kept grossing me out. But now, my throat hurts. The lump is obnoxious and I have been having mild sore throats since the time I first noticed it. It cannot be an allergy because I do not eat the same things each day, nor do I stay in the usual environments that trigger my regular allergies. I am worried.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• You have a throat infection. It is tonsillitis with granular pharyngitis.The tonsils, as well as the lymphoid tissues of the posterior pharyngeal wall, are enlarged and infected.
  • I suggest the following:
  1. A course of antibiotics like Amoxyclav 1 g (a combination of Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid) twice daily for seven days.
  2. An oral decongestant for five days.
  3. Anti-inflammatory and a painkiller like Ibuprofen and Paracetamol for five days.
  4. Use Chlorhexidine mouthwash four times for five days.
  • If the symptoms persist after three days of taking the medicines, please let me know.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I got my tonsils removed last year. Now, I have redness on one side. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my tonsils removed last year. Now, on one side, I have this red area. It can get inflamed sometimes and every now and then, I get a cyst or ulcer in that area. Why is this area red and not on the other side? Is it due to a lot of blood vessels in one area that used to supply the...  Read Full »

I have swollen tonsils with fever, body aches and runny nose. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I need to know what I should do. I have been sick for four days now. I have two swollen tonsils (left side I noticed white spots on it). I have had fevers, body aches, body chills, runny or stuffy nose, vomiting and difficulty breathing.  Read Full »

Will accidentally putting mascara wand in a child's mouth cause any harm?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-year-old put my mascara wand in his mouth. His teeth and all around his mouth were black. I used a toothbrush and water to get all the black out. What else should I do? I am not sure how much he swallowed. Can it harm him?  Read Full »