Q. What is the smooth orange-colored patch present on my finger?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 29, 2021

I have a smooth patch on my finger, which is pale pink or orange in color. It is not painful, and it is very slightly raised, but you can only feel it raised. If you see it, it appears flat. It had appeared overnight on a previously clear area of skin and has grown a tiny amount since the three months it has been on my finger. If I examine the patch closely, it is 5 mm in size, and I can see tiny pin-sized red dots within the patch. What could this be? I have tried to find something similar online, and I cannot seem to see anything similar that is smooth like mine, it almost looks as though it is underneath the surface of my skin. I have not injured my finger at all.

#

• From your history, there is a possibility that your lesion could be a wart.
  • However, it would serve best if we can have a look at the lesion. Kindly upload appropriate images of the present condition, so that I can suggest you better.

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have uploaded two photos of the lesion on my finger. I hope this can help you.

#

I have seen the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Indeed, the clinical lesion appears isolated and one of a kind. The possible differential diagnosis includes the following:
  1. Granuloma annulare.
  2. Foreign body granuloma.
  3. Sarcoidosis.
  4. Xanthogranuloma.
  • Given the pinpoint reddish crusting, even an eczematous pathology can be suspected. The lesion would need a biopsy to narrow down the diagnosis.
  • However, from a clinical point of view, it is benign and can be treated easily once the diagnosis is confirmed. Hence there is no need to panic.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|