Q. I have gum disease with receding gums and bleeding. Please suggest.

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

I went to the dentist recently and they told me I have gum disease and receding gums but there is no damage to my teeth or bone so I just have to improve my brushing. Since then I have taken their advice but my gums still bleed, my whole mouth is sensitive and I have noticed my teeth feel slightly loose. It is currently impossible to get to a dentist so I am concerned. Please help.

#

Yes, I can make out from x-ray and picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is gum disease for obvious. Your lower front teeth have grown gingival inflammation better called gingivitis.

Gingivitis needs to be treated by a procedure called gingivectomy, means removal of excess gingiva. Home remedies as such there are not many or much effective in this case yet I can understand the situation cannot permit you to go out.

For now only until the situation gets better try the following:

1. Warm water salt rinse three to four times daily.

2. If you can get some guava leaves crush them and mix with warm water use as mouth rinse for one to two minutes and spit out.

3. Crushed cloves act as good oral treatment in pain and gum diseases or if you can get clove oil that will be great to apply.

4. For loose tooth, you can apply a mixture of table salt and mustard oil where there is loose gums and then later spit it out.

5. Rest, keep brushing teeth twice daily. Kindly use soft bristle brush and do not brush very hardly or for very long. You need to brush softly for one to two minutes only.

6. Before brushing apply toothpaste all over teeth and at place teeth attaching to gums, leave it for two to three minutes then do the brushing. After brushing must give soft finger massage overall teeth and especially gums.

7. Brush in a circular manner and not in up and down motion.

I advise you for a complete deep scaling and root planning as soon as things get better in your area.

|