iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDentistrygum infectionHow to treat a swollen gum present in my back tooth?

How to manage a painful, swollen gum around a back tooth?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Divya Banu M

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 26, 2018
Reviewed AtApril 24, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have an issue with gum disease. There is a swollen gum present on my back tooth. It hurts when I touch it. It is not seen in front of my tooth. It is present inside my mouth. I have pain in the left jaw. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Divya Banu M


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like a periodontal abscess (infection of the gums and tissues surrounding the teeth). As you have braces (molar band specifically), it can also cause it. Another possibility is gingivitis. Again the reason is the same. The third reason can be due to dental caries (but your image does not show any evidence of caries or cavities).

To confirm it, a clinical examination and intra-oral X-ray is needed. You will need a professional cleaning (scaling). For pain, you can take Aceclofenac 100 mg once in the morning and once in the night after food, take Pantoprazole 40 mg once in the night before taking food (only if you have acidity as it can aggravate the acidity).

You can take Amoxicillin CV (Clavulanic acid) for five days one tablet in the morning and one at night. Finish this antibiotic course for five days even if the symptoms subside. If you are allergic to any medicine, stop taking them. Let me know so that I can alter the medication. But, I prefer taking antibiotics only after the clinical examination and X-ray. Do not worry. Consult your dentist. You will be fine. Maintain oral hygiene and since you are wearing braces, be more careful with oral health. Follow the instructions given by your dentist. Do lukewarm saltwater gargling. Is there any other swelling below the angle of your jaw or any pus or blood discharge from the swelling? Or are there any other symptoms present?

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Divya Banu M
Dr. Divya Banu M


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy