Q. What is the treatment available for gynecomastia?

I have puffy nipples on both sides since I was 15 and now I am 23. I think it is gynecomastia. I am male and 6'1" and 82 kg. I need to know about the treatment and is there any risk factor?

Dr. Vivek Chail
MBBS., DMRD., DNB (RADIODIAGNOSIS
Radiodiagnosis, Radiology

Gynecomastia might happen due to an imbalance of hormones estrogen and testosterone in men. First, the condition should be confirmed by consulting the endocrinologist. Most cases resolve with time and few require treatment if there is any cause that is responsible for it. Some medicines to be taken under prescription for gynecomastia includes Tamoxifen and Raloxifene. These have side effects and should be taken only under the recommendation of an endocrinologist.

Query: Hello doctor, My sister was experiencing irregular periods and sometimes bleeding was heavy during the menstrual period. We consulted a gynecologist. She suggested taking pelvis scan where they observed that endometrium line became thick. They informed that it was due to hormonal imbalance. Later w...  Read Full »
Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think the doctor has advised copper-T. I think she would have advised intrauterine hormonal device called LNG (Levonorgestrel) which contains hormone progesterone. It will regularise the cycles and control heavy flow and need not take oral medicines. It is up ...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 16 year old male with gynecomastia. I weigh 70 kg and I am about 5' 4". How can I reduce gynecomastia without surgery?  Read Full »
Dr. Tanvi Mayur Patel
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Gynecomastia during puberty of your age is normal. It will subside in one year's time on its own. Do not worry about it. If you are overweight or obese, then you must lose weight. No medicine is required right now and please do not develop any complex because of it...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, I had a gynecomastia surgery last week, and a week later my right breast was swollen. So, I went to see my doctor, and he said I have fluid accumulated in my chest. He opened my stitches and placed a scissor inside, and took out the fluid and blood, and closed the incision. It was very pa...  Read Full »
Dr. Vikram Kumar Raja
Cosmetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What you had the first time was hematoma or blood collection which was drained. Now, what you have is a seroma, which usually gets absorbed by the body in a couple of weeks. I would suggest you wait or if you want to confirm if it is a seroma or hematoma, you can get a...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, I am four days late, and today I had some very light spotting mixed with discharge. I have very light cramping and no other symptoms. I had a miscarriage two months ago. Is it related to my hormones being imbalanced?  Read Full »
Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon Menon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel there is some hormone imbalance and it could be the reason for the miscarriage too. Your weight is more than expected. This extra fat will be converted into hormones in the body. This hormone can prevent or delay ovulation, could be the reason for the delay in...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. My weight is 80 kilogram, and my height is 5'9 feet. I have gynecomastia for the past four years. Please recommend some medicines.  Read Full »
Dr. Albana Greca
Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think you have hormonal problems as per your weight. You should check your thyroid hormones, sex hormones and a complete biochemistry panel (liver and kidney function test). If everything is fine, then it can be due to hormonal changes at your young age. So the treatm...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I am suffering from white discharge since the last four months. It is colorless, odorless with no itchiness and the quantity of the discharge is more than normal. Two years back, I had a similar problem for which I was advised to take Fluconazole 150 mg thre...  Read Full »
Dr. Sunita Kothari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest starting FAS-3 kit (Fluconazole, Azithromycin, and Secnidazole) weekly, one tab eight hourly for three weeks. Then insert Canesten (Clotrimazole) vaginal cream internally for seven days. Then Candid (Clotrimazole) dusting powder externally. Start tablet Yaz...  Read Full »

Managing Sciatica Pain with Physiotherapy
Why is there a feeling of windpipe compression in a pregnant patient?
Can Ovral G be used as an emergency contraceptive pill?

Also Read Answers From

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician »