Q. Can hair loss and receding hairline in me have genetic causes?

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

I am an 18-year-old female suffering from hair loss receding hairline. I think it is genetic because my mother also has less hair and has the same pattern of hair loss.

Please let me know. I am concerned about my hair loss.

#

I read your query and can understand your concern.

With your description, I suppose you have androgenetic alopecia, also called female pattern hairloss. This is a progressive genetic condition. We can try to slow down hair loss with medications. Treatment depends on the grade of hairloss. I suggest you attach your clinical picture along with your query so that it is convenient for me to comment on your condition and suggest proper medications. I would recommend you consult a specialist and take consent before taking these medications:

1. Minoxidil solution or spray is available in 2 %, 5 %, and 10 %. The concentration depends on grading. I cannot be specific with the percentage of Minoxidil as I have not assessed your grade of hairloss. This is a long-term treatment, and you may need to use it for years.

2. Multivitamin hair nutrients contain biotin, calcium, and zinc.

3. Monolaurin-containing shampoo can be used to wash your scalp on alternate days.

Now coming to the nonmedications part, which is equally important:

1. Always use lukewarm water to wash your hair, never hot water.

2. Do not comb your hair when it is wet.

3. Use a comb that has a wide space between each tooth, and the tip of the tooth should be blunt so that it does not irritate the scalp.

4. Avoid using hair dryers and straighteners.

5. Eat protein-rich food, egg, chicken, milk, curd, and lentils. Hair is made up of a protein called keratin.

6. Exercise daily for 40 minutes at least six days a week. This is to keep hormone levels balanced, as androgenetic alopecia also has a hormonal influence.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

|