Q. Is there any correlation between my blood report and hair loss?

Published on Feb 05, 2017

I have substantial focal hair loss. Three blood tests have been taken, and the results are high in SHBG, but normal levels of testosterone. I am not on the contraceptive pill or any other medicine aside from DHEA, which was recently prescribed. DHEA low and proteins are also low. Is there any correlation between these results and my hair loss? Hair loss is entirely on the back of the scalp.

#

• Do you have normal DHT (dihydrotestosterone) and estrogen levels? I am asking this since you have elevated SBG (sex hormone-binding globulin).

Revert with the details to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Thank you for your reply. I have attached my blood test results for your ease of reference. Thank you for your time and I appreciate any insight you can give me.

#

• Your DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) level is normal. Then, why are you taking DHEA supplements since your level is normal?
  • However, I did not see DHT and thyroid panel. So, I suggest you get DHT and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) with free T4 and total T3.
  • Please ask your doctor as to why are you taking DHEA supplements with a normal DHEA level. Also, discuss with him or her and take 10,000 mcg of Biotin daily with consent.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Can bleaching be really harmful to my hair?

Query: Hello doctor, I bleached my roots twice in the summer, and there was a ton of overlap, resulting in a lot of breakages. I thought the breakage subsided so I had extensions put in. I just recently had them taken out and realized that my hair has become super thin and I have lost a lot of them and my...  Read Full »

Is hair fall common after a surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, Last year, I noticed hair fall. Then, I had a surgery for appendix and post surgery my hair fall increased severely. I have checked vitamin D, B12 and ferritin levels. Everything is normal. Since, I am a vegetarian my doctor put me on some multivitamin tablets. I am also taking biotin tab...  Read Full »

Why am I spotting watery mucus after a miscarriage?

Query: Hi doctor, I used to have a regular menstrual cycle. But since the last four months, I noticed spotting mixed with watery mucus in the mid of the cycle. I was put on birth control pills a year back, but I still got pregnant and had a miscarriage six months back. After two months of my miscarriage, I...  Read Full »