Q. Please suggest some effective medicine for hair regrowth.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
Published on Sep 02, 2016

I am suffering from hair loss. Now I am 50% bald. Some of my friends have regained their hair. My baldness is hereditary. I am also an alcoholic. I need some effective medication for hair regrowth.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have read your query and do understand your concern.

• Is the hair lost from the temple and vertex of the scalp? Is it diffuse hair fall?

As you have said it is genetic, I am assuming it is male pattern baldness. But, photographic evaluation of the extent and type of hair fall will be needed for better guidance.

Take a nutritious and protein rich diet, such as pulses, milk products and eggs.

Avoid routine application of gels or frequent blow drying of your hair. Use a sulfate free shampoo for your hair twice a week.

1. Please put two to three clear pictures of the affected area for proper evaluation and specific treatment.

Revert back with the photos to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I am unable to attach the photos now. In the mean time, I would say that the affected area more on the vertex. I am more curious to know if there are very effective result oriented medicines to regrow hair. I have seen one of my friends who got his hairs back at the age of 44.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

I am judging by your description and it seems that you have male pattern hair loss.

The most effective treatment is Minoxidil 5% lotion. For example Regain 5% or Hair4U 5% can be applied over the affected area twice daily. It is the drug of choice.

• MORR-F 5% lotion (comprising of Minoxidil with Finesteride) is available and has a better efficacy if you can get your hands on it.
  • Minoxidil is quite safe to use and has to be used continuously for at least six months for an effective hair growth. You can continue it lifelong or as long as you desire hair growth. This has to be applied 1 mL each in the morning and evening only to affected areas.
  • Tablet Dutasteride 0.5 mg can be taken once daily for six months and it acts by decreasing the hormonal influence on hair, which causes hair loss. However, some men may experience some loss of libido with this drug.

Hair transplant is definitely an excellent long term solution.

You can start with this lotion and tablet and let me know about the improvement after four to five months. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

How do I control hair fall?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male. My problem is regular hair fall. How to control hair loss? Also, I want to regrow it. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Before I can help you, please answer the following questions so I can be sure it is male pattern baldness or androgenetic alopecia. The average number of hair that fall for you in a day. Are you taking any medication? Have you fallen sick in the past one year? Doe...  Read Full

Does hair fall stop immediately with the use of Proscar?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been on Rogaine for 6 years and now on Proscar for 10 days. I had used it before, but went off. I cannot tell if I am still losing hair or not. Does hair loss stop immediately once Proscar is used?  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Both, Minoxidil and Finasteride takes time to act and in some cases it will take two to three months. Both are FDA - Food and Drug Administration approved for androgenic alopecia. You should always remember that if it is used once, then you need to take it for a lifetime...  Read Full

I would like to know and understand the hair transplant procedures.

Query: Hello doctor, I am considering hair transplant. I would like to know and understand the procedure. Please advise.    Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The following are my observations, The hair transplant surgeon removes small groups of hair follicle containing skin from areas where there is normal hair growth. These small plugs are then implanted in to the bald areas of the head where hair growth is desired. This is ...  Read Full