Q. Please suggest some effective medicine for hair regrowth.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

I am suffering from hair loss. Now I am 50% bald. Some of my friends have regained their hair. My baldness is hereditary. I am also an alcoholic. I need some effective medication for hair regrowth.

#

I have read your query and do understand your concern.

• Is the hair lost from the temple and vertex of the scalp? Is it diffuse hair fall?

As you have said it is genetic, I am assuming it is male pattern baldness. But, photographic evaluation of the extent and type of hair fall will be needed for better guidance.

Take a nutritious and protein rich diet, such as pulses, milk products and eggs.

Avoid routine application of gels or frequent blow drying of your hair. Use a sulfate free shampoo for your hair twice a week.

1. Please put two to three clear pictures of the affected area for proper evaluation and specific treatment.

Revert back with the photos to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I am unable to attach the photos now. In the mean time, I would say that the affected area more on the vertex. I am more curious to know if there are very effective result oriented medicines to regrow hair. I have seen one of my friends who got his hairs back at the age of 44.

#

I am judging by your description and it seems that you have male pattern hair loss.

The most effective treatment is Minoxidil 5% lotion. For example Regain 5% or Hair4U 5% can be applied over the affected area twice daily. It is the drug of choice.

• MORR-F 5% lotion (comprising of Minoxidil with Finesteride) is available and has a better efficacy if you can get your hands on it.
  • Minoxidil is quite safe to use and has to be used continuously for at least six months for an effective hair growth. You can continue it lifelong or as long as you desire hair growth. This has to be applied 1 mL each in the morning and evening only to affected areas.
  • Tablet Dutasteride 0.5 mg can be taken once daily for six months and it acts by decreasing the hormonal influence on hair, which causes hair loss. However, some men may experience some loss of libido with this drug.

Hair transplant is definitely an excellent long term solution.

You can start with this lotion and tablet and let me know about the improvement after four to five months. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|