Q. Is brain tumor causing my headaches?

I have suffered from sinus congestion in the past, but this time my headaches are different and the time is much longer. Normally, I get pain in my forehead and eyes. This time the pain is in my forehead, eyes, ears, and it feels like my neck is throbbing. It is like I am being held upside down, this lasts almost the entire day. I have had this pain for two months now. I had an MRI, four years ago, that came out clear. I am wondering if it could be a brain tumor causing this pressure this time? I have never had pressure like this before for this long. Please help.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

• The description of your headache fits into migraine-type headaches. I need following details further to help you better:
  1. How many days in a week do you get these headaches?
  2. Do you have any vomitings or sensations associated?
  3. How is your sleep?
  4. Any visual issues?
  5. Any weight loss?
  • These symptoms are not classic of a brain tumor. Moreover, if your MRI is normal, then there is no point that you are suffering from brain tumor. Revert with the asked details for better help.

Revert with more information to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thank you for your reply. The headaches are almost every day. I do not have any other symptom. And my sleep is also normal. My MRI was normal, but it was taken four years ago. Do I need to get a new MRI?

#

• You do not need a repeat MRI, and the symptoms you are describing are in support of a migraine only. You need to be started on migraine prophylaxis. Once we are sure that the person has migraine, we start our patient on migraine prophylaxis.
  • If you are on migraine prophylaxis, slowly, your severity and frequency of attacks will reduce and time will come when you will have almost no attacks. Drugs are decided based on the frequency and severity of headaches. Sleep disturbances are also kept in consideration.
  • For migraine prophylaxis, the most commonly used drugs are Flunarizine, Propranolol, and Amitriptyline. In the case of acute pain, triptans like Sumatriptan and Rizatriptan are used. In the case of acute pain not responding to triptans, we use painkiller like Diclofenac.
  • You also need to modify your lifestyle. You should sleep at least eight hours at night, that too daily in a fixed time slot. Avoid sleeping in the day, as if you sleep in the day, you will have difficulty in falling asleep on time at night, and the whole cycle of peaceful sleep would get disturbed. Avoid alcohol, especially beer, caffeine, lemon, and cheese in the diet.
  • You need to follow these lifestyle modifications for the purpose of getting rid of medications after a few months course. People who modify their lifestyles, usually get rid of medications after six months.

Share my opinion with your doctor and get treated. If you have any further query, please feel comfortable to discuss with me.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|