Q. My 5-year-old daughter has 60% hearing loss. Will she need hearing aid?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

My daughter is 5 years old. She has a problem with hearing in long distance and her speach ability is also not up to her peer group. We consulted an ENT and pure tone audiometry was done. We found hearing loss in both ear 60 %. Doctor advised to use a hearing aid. My elder daughter is also a a hearing impaired kid (loss 60%, using aid). I want to get another opinion, whether we need to do any further tests or as per the doctor's advice to start using the hearing aid?

#

I want to ask you certain questions before I jump into further investigations.

Is your husband your close relative or is he from distant family (consanguineous marriage)? Did you observe there was developmental delay in any other form? Example delay in sitting with support, sitting without support, standing with support, standing without support, walking, etc? Have you observed decreased hearing in the child since birth? Was assessment of hearing done at birth? If so, what was the report then? Does the child snore? Does she open her mouth while sleeping? Have you observed her to be sleepy during the day? Are all other behavioral aspects normal? If your elder daughter has impaired hearing, was any study for syndromic or non-syndromic association or gene testing done for hearing loss?

Please do let us know regarding these questions and we will get back to you soon.

Yes, my wife is my father's sister daughter and moreover in my father's side out of 10 person, three persons are deaf and dumb. She is very active and doing all normal activity, except quick reponse or non-response in some classes. We could not identify any gradual delay, but we have closely monitored her, as my elder daughter is hearing imparied, so younger also may chance to get affect. No, assessment of hearing done at birth and she does not snore, but she used to speak loudly always. All other behavioral aspects are normal. No further study done.

#

The most common reason for hearing loss is due to genetic cause and you need to talk to a gene expert if you are planning for another child as the same hearing loss might present in that child also.

For the child aged 5 years, it is better to use hearing aids as that is one option that can be considered.

Hearing aids or cochlear implants are the best and give maximum benefit when used in children before the age of 5 years as the ability to learn the language is maximum during this time frame. After 5 years, the efficiency of these devices start coming down and start becoming less effective as far as the ability to learn the language is concerned.

|