Q. Why does my heartburn go away when I lay down in the bed and increases when I sit upright?

Dr. Madathupalayam Madhankumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 18, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Why does my heartburn go away when I lay down in the bed and increases when I sit upright? This seems to contradict the advice of raising the head while sleeping.

#

Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.

• The cause for heartburn is due to the acid from the stomach entering into the esophagus through the lower esophageal sphincter.
  • Other than swallowing times this sphincter is closed and prevents the acid from entering the esophagus. 
  • For people whose sphincter tone is lost certain drugs and postural change will help in relieving the symptoms.
  • For this only we advice head end elevation while sleeping.
  • Apart from this negative pressure of respiration and type of physical work also affects the reflux disease.
  • For further clarification 24 hour ph study and manometry will help in guiding further management.

Consult a surgical gatroenterologist online for further queries --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-gastroenterologist

|