Q. I have not stopped bleeding even after taking Pause-MF tablet. What to do?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 26, 2021

A month back, I had spotting, but I started to bleed the next month but not stopped. I take paused Tablet Pause-MF for three days which I took twice daily, and I have the polycystic ovarian disease. Two years back, I had the same complaint, and my doctor suggested Tablet Ovral L. One year back ultrasound scan was done, and there were polycystic ovarian disease changes in the report. Is anything serious, doctor?

#

PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease) is a hormonal condition in which there are irregular periods. Sometimes there is a very little hormone for a cycle to go through and there is reduced bleeding, spotting, or even absence of periods. This can be followed by a period of excessive bleeding. So to regularise your hormones and periods, it is best to take oral contraceptive pills. This PCOD is usually accompanied by glucose intolerance (that is, the glucose consumed by you is not processed properly) and thyroid complaints (this also can be the cause of irregular periods. My advice to you would be:

• To get a thyroid function test and glucose levels done.
  • Take the Tablet Pause-MF (Tranexamic Acid and Mefenamic Acid) for two more days and see if the bleeding stops.
  • It would also be advisable to start oral contraceptive pills for three cycles to regularise your cycle after bleeding stops.
  • Depending on your thyroid and sugar report, adequate medications for that could be started.
  • Lifestyle modification like healthy eating habits exercises atleast five days a week will help manage the condition.

|