Q. In case of broken heel, is it safe to keep the special boot on with the fracture blisters?

Dr. Atul Prakash
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 06, 2019

I broke my heel three days ago. The specialist said it is the worst break to get. My question is, should I keep the special boot on even with the fracture blisters. It is painful as it rubs on the boot. Should I keep it on at night also?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

Plaster or a synthetic boot is designed for walking, and if you have blisters then a boot is not advisable for the reasons that you have found and that also indirectly means that you are allowed to walk but in reality, walking or lowering your leg will make the swelling and blisters worse. You need to be on strict elevation will heel above heart and ice the area 10 minutes at a time till the swelling is down. This also means that most are your activities are to be done on the bed until the swelling starts to recede.

What could be causing my muscle cramps and heel pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have muscle cramps in the bottom part of my belly or sometimes one one side of the belly since two to three years. I have put on a lot of weight and now have a protruding belly. I am taking Presolar twice a day, Tazloc-H, Modlip 10, Neurobion Forte once a day, and Caldikind sachet...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kaveri Dandapani
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The first thing I want to address is regarding your weight. I want you to reduce it by 20 kg within a year. Your HbA1c is high. Even though your PPBS (post-prandial blood sugar) is normal, FBS (fasting blood sugar) is slightly high. For this, I want you to go for reg...  Read Full

Can you read my MRI and explain the reason for heel pain?

Query: Hi doctor,I am suffering from right heel pain for the last 11 months. All conservative measures exhausted. I had an MRI today. Can you read the MRI and provide a report?  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please find my observations on the MRI scan of your right heel below. There is increased thickness observed in the calcaneal insertion of the plantar fascia with increased signal intensity on T1 and TIRM sequence, which suggests plantar fasciitis. Alignment of right ankle...  Read Full

I jumped off a boat and my sternum popped. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 45 year old female. I jumped off a boat and my sternum popped. I have swelling and severe pain. I am taking Ibuprofen. It hurts to breathe and move my arms. I have a history of osteoporosis, degenerative disk disease, and scoliosis.  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be a sterno-clavicular dislocation. If it is, then you need to lie down and push the shoulder behind. But, an orthopedic surgeon needs to reduce the dislocation. Till then wear an arm sling pouch. I suggest you continue taking Ibuprofen. And upload the X-rays a...  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now