Q. I find some streaks of blood in urine even after taking antibiotics. Could this be cancer?

Dr. Sandip Pramanik

I need your help as I am worried sick and it is affecting me mentally now that something serious is wrong with me. Seven months ago I began experiencing pain on my left side. I went to my doctor who said it was just muscle pain. The pain went on and got a lot worse. Four weeks I went to the toilet and I noticed I was peeing fresh blood the doctor gave me Trimethoprim for three days which did not help as my urine was still showing high leukocytes and blood so she gave me Ciprofloxacin 500 mg for seven days and there is still blood showing up in the dip stick tests.

My doctor has ordered me a CT scan to look for kidney stones but with this world virus, I am not going to get my appointment anytime soon as we are in lockdown. My urine looks clear now but I have noticed today there are streaks of blood in it now and I am terrified incase I have cancer. I am still getting a stingy pain onmy left side which comes and goes and sometimes shooting pain. I have multiple sclerosis also and I took my treatment of immunosuppressants in the last five weeks. I am honestly going out my mind with worry incase this is cancer. I am worried about the streaks of blood when I urinate as this has been going on for about four weeks now it clears then it comes back again.

#

I have gone through your queries. Please relax and sit at home. Do not worry. You need not be in a hurry to get a CT (computed tomography) urogram done at this pandemic state.

I am explaining the condition now. You are having hematuria associated with flank pain. Hematuria was episodic. At your age and profile, it is unlikely that you have a urinary bladder or upper tract cancer. The possibility is very less.

Probable cause of your hematuria is stone disease. It may be a kidney stone or ureteric stone. You get these investigations done, once the lockdown gets over.

Check your serum creatinine, CECT KUB and CT urogram (if creatinine is within normal limits). These will tell you the final diagnosis.

In the meantime you can take tablet Tamsulosin 0.4 mg one tablet at bedtime for 30 days, Drotaverine 80 mg SOS when you have pain. Tamsulosin cannot be taken if you are having pregnancy. Take plenty of water orally (2.5 to 3 liters per day).

| 

How to Prevent Kidney Stones?

Article Overview: This article discusses the ways to prevent the formation of kidney stones. Read Article

A kidney stone is a common condition affecting individuals of all age groups. It is a recurring problem with approximately 50 % individuals experiencing a second episode. Though some people are prone to kidney stones, majority experience it because of their lifestyle.      ...  Read Article

Please suggest treatment for hematuria.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 76 year old male. I have hematuria for the past two months. My prostate was normal in the USG report and the culture report did not show any growth of microorganisms. I took Levofloxacin for 10 days, but now my doctor prescribed Tranexamic 500 IV. I am also suffering from a lumbar...  Read Full »

Why is my husband having painless hematuria since a year?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband who is 36 years old, is having painless hematuria since last year. The episodes are not defined, it is present for a month or sometimes as less as a week. MRI, CT scan, and cystoscopy, all show normal findings except hyperemia in the bladder. There are stones in his kidney,...  Read Full »