Q. Are my hemoglobin and hematocrit values in the normal range?

Dr. Singh Smrita
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2022

I have 18.1 g/dL as my hemoglobin level, and my hematocrit is 50.8. Is it normal?

#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As per your test results, your alkaline phosphatase and total bilirubin are elevated. This means a problem in the liver or the biliary tract. Also, your LDL (low-density lipoproteins) levels are increased, and your HDL (high-density lipoproteins) cholesterol levels are at the lower end of the normal range. Try to change your diet and eat very low-fat foods, but you can eat healthy fats.

Your RBC count is increased, but your hemoglobin and hematocrit values are only very marginally increased. This could be due to many reasons, including dehydration and smoking. Since your GFR (glomerular filtration rate) is normal, I would rule out a renal cause most likely, but the blood creatinine and urea values would be required to be fully ruled out. Please consult with your doctor at the earliest for elevated bilirubin and alkaline phosphatase.

|