Q. Should my hemophiliac son receive coagulant for colonoscopy?

Dr. Prakash H. Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on May 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

My son was exposed to warfare chemical in the navy. During his tonsil surgery, he was found to have bleeding disorder. He is suffering from hemophilia and is undergoing a colonoscopy tomorrow. Should he receive coagulant for this procedure?

#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

• During any procedure bleeding time and clotting time that is prothrombin (PT) and activated partial thromboplastin time (APPT) are always evaluated and then only the procedure is done.
  • If he has no clotting issues at present then nothing further is necessary.
  • Also, colonoscopy is a superficial procedure and no further coagulant is necessary if prothrombin and activated partial thromboplastin times are normal.

No extra coagulation factor necessary, if PT and APTT are normal.

For further information consult a hematologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|