Q. My hemorrhoids have popped and are bleeding. What are the medications I should take?

Dr. Sosela Rrusho
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2021

I am a 42-year-old male. I have bleeding with pressure from my swollen part of the hemorrhoid. Kindly suggest a medicine or pain reliever for hemorrhoid.

#

I understand your concern with hemorrhoids. In this condition, taking some topical treatments using local anesthetic ointment, mild astringents such as witch hazel, and corticosteroid creams help a lot. You can use Anodan HC rectal suppository or 0.5 % ointment (Hydrocortisone acetate and Zinc acetate) or Anugesic HC rectal suppository containing Hydrocortisone acetate 10 mg, Pramoxine hydrochloride 20 mg, and zinc sulfate 10 mg. Alternatively, you can also use Anusol HC rectal suppository or 0.5 % ointment containing Hydrocortisone acetate 10 mg and Zinc sulfate 10 mg or Germoloids HC spray containing Lidocaine hydrochloride 1% and Hydrocortisone 0.2%.

You can also use Perianal cutaneous spray containing Lidocaine hydrochloride 1% and Hydrocortisone 0.2% spray. You can also use Proctol rectal suppository containing Hydrocortisone 5 mg, Dibucaine hydrochloride 5 mg, Esculin 10 mg, and Framycetin sulfate 10 mg. Before using medications, it is better to consult a doctor to exclude local infection and do not use it in the long term as it can cause thinning of the perianal skin. Use it for one to two weeks. If there is no improvement, then you can try to use another class of medication.

You can take increased insoluble fiber in your diet and take six to eight glasses of water daily to modify your stool form and firmness. You can use stool softeners or low-dose laxative therapy if fiber and fluid provide insufficient stool form and firmness. Avoid straining and do not have prolonged time on the toilet. Have good perianal hygiene by having a warm sitz bath once or twice a day. Try to lose weight and increase your daily exercise patterns.

|