Q. Can hepatitis B infection be transmitted through the saliva sprayed while speaking?

Dr. N. Ashok Viswanath

I have heard that HBV can be found and transmitted through saliva. Can it be transmitted by accidentally coming in contact with the infected person's saliva that is sprayed while speaking and through a little amount of blood that comes in contact with intact and healthy skin?

Thanks.

#

Hepatitis B virus can be seen in the saliva of infected individuals. It can spread only if the infected person's saliva containing visible blood comes in contact with fresh wounds like a laceration. It will not cause infection when it comes in contact with lips or intact, healthy skin. Our skin and the mucosal lining have protective barriers, which do not allow pathogens like the hepatitis B virus to enter the human body. These blood-borne pathogens have to enter the bloodstream to initiate the infection. Usually, direct entry into the bloodstream happens during blood transfusion, needle stick injury, injection drug abuse using a contaminated needle, and unprotected sexual activity.

I hope my answer clarifies your doubt.

Take care.

|