Q. My mother has displacement of abdominal organs after gallbladder operation. What to do?

Dr. Nasir
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 28, 2021

My mother underwent surgery on the gallbladder due to some issues in it. The doctor told us that she cannot undergo surgery unless she loses weight. She went back home and again one of the doctors said that she can have the operation. The operation went well until my mother noticed about hernia in the abdominal area. Some doctors are suggesting us to have an operation where skin or tissue is planted inside the stomach for the hernia problem. Please help me to know what to do. I am afraid about the condition of my mother as her intestines are misplaced and something would happen.

#

During the operation of the gallbladder, the muscles of the abdomen can be damaged or it can be relaxed. When the abdominal muscles are relaxed, they are not able to contain the organs and the momentum inside the abdomen. When we apply strain, these abdominal organs and momentum push on the muscles. When the muscles are not strong to hold them back in their place, they tend to come out. This is basically a concept of the hernia that is happened to your mother. To make the abdominal wall stronger, they keep a mesh or some tissue to reinforce the muscles. This is a routine procedure done for hernia and it does not lead to complications. But, these depend on the experience of the surgeon. Let me know if you have any more queries.

|