Q. Why is there pain in my inguinal hernia repair site?

Dr. Rahul Goel

I am a 45-year-old active athletic female. I had inguinal hernia repair with no mesh six months ago. Recently during exercise, I noted a similar pain in the same exact area. If it is a recurrence, what happens next? Is there another surgery? It has only been six months.

#

I believe you had a mesh-free hernia surgery done six months ago. Now you have developed pain at the same site.

I would need a few details before I can help you.

• Where was a hernia that is inguinal/femoral/lumbar?
  • Was the surgery done by a hernia specialist?
  • What was the name of the procedure? eg Desarda's operation etc. ?
  • Was it done laparoscopically or by open technique?
  • Is there a swelling of the hernia site or just a pain?
  • A photograph of the operated site would be very helpful.

For more information consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

It was an open repair of an inguinal hernia. There was no mesh. It was done by a general or vascular surgeon. There was no swelling just discomfort. Felt pain-free for past few months. I have attached photographs for your reference.

#

I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

The operated site looks healthy.

In order to check for a recurrence, you will need to be examined by your surgeon.

The cause of the pain may be inguinodynia which is a common problem.

You may use over-the-counter analgesic tablets for it if you need to.

You may also try and avoid severe exertion until you are cleared by your surgeon.

|