Q. I had herpes simplex 2 infecton. Is it possible to get proctitis anal herpes without anal sex?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Published on Nov 04, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2019

I acquired herpes simplex virus 2 infection two months ago from oral sex. Now, I have proctitis anal herpes. Is it possible to have it without engaging in anal sex?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Herpes infection normally involves either the mouth (manifesting as cold sores), or the genital region, and can include the scrotum, penis, and the anus.

It is possible to have it without engaging in anal sex. It is a highly contagious disease, and in the active state it can manifest in the above-mentioned sites and also spread very easily. You should get yourself checked again for both HSV (herpes simplex virus) 1 and 2 to confirm if you have not done it.

The good thing is it can be treated. You can do a course of Famciclovir two tablets daily for seven to ten days. Since it can spread through both vaginal and anal intercourse, it is better to get your partner tested too. The more you delay, there are more chances of it turning into a chronic infection.

Will my partner get HSV if we have unprotected sex during non-outbreak?

Query: Hello doctor, I have herpes 2 and have taken Valtrex for three years faithfully and last outbreak was two years ago. My labs show that my numbers were very low. Trying to explain to a new partner: Never have sex if I have an outbreak. Condoms are recommended by doctors for all sex because there...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your first question, it is better to avoid sex during an outbreak because there is a high risk of transmission during this period. Also, it would be painful to have sex if lesion involving near the vagina. Next thing, it is possible to acquire an infectio...  Read Full

I have herpes. Will it affect my pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am in a need to take steroids for IVF due to autoimmune issue. But, I have herpes¬†2. Will it affect my baby?  Read Full >>

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The biggest concern in a pregnant genital herpes patient is that the infection is transmitted to the baby during labor and delivery, which can be devastating. This can happen if you are contagious or shedding the virus. There is no way to know for sure if you are she...  Read Full

Is it safe to have anal sex?

Query: Hello doctor,There is slight bleeding after anal sex. I had a drop-by-drop bleeding the next morning after passing stool.  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have had mild trauma due to penetration in the anal sphincter which is causing bleeding. You will need to follow few steps: Sitz bath which means, putting three tablespoons of common salt in a small tub of lukewarm water and placing your butt in it ...  Read Full

Ask a Sexologist Now