Q. Is oral HSV 2 infection uncommon?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2020

I was recently diagnosed with HSV 2. I am having both genial and oral lesions. What is the best dosage of Valtrex to kill virus? Also, is HIV 2 oral infection uncommon one? I had shingles before 10 years and at that my doctor believed it as HSV 2. My IgG blood test showed HSV 1 0.06 and HSV 2 8.49.

#

• Yes, oral HSV 2 (herpes simplex virus) is uncommon, but it can be the cause. Same way HSV 1 is mostly oral, but it can cause genital disease too.
  • The dosage of Valtrex (Valaciclovir) differs according to the course of the disease such as initial disease episode and recurrent episodes of disease or if we need the suppressive therapy for a patient, who is otherwise immunocompetent.
  • The dosage differs for all of these patients. It is your physician who will decide the dosage according to your disease status.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Does oral HSV 2 reoccur frequently? I have had three oral outbreaks in one month with lesions. Genital symptoms are there, but I do not have any lesions. One doctor suggested that it may be HSV 1, but the blood test missed it. Do you have any suggestions to build the immune system back up? I was prescribed a steroid before six months and it caused the HSV to wake up. I have been experiencing the symptoms daily since then, even on suppressive therapy. Could I just have an aggressive strain of HSV? Thanks for your time.

#

• After review of your follow up health query, I want to add that recurrence of any type of HSV is almost the same and yes, HSV 2 may recur too.
  • It seems to be HSV 2 although sometimes overlap may be seen in terms of HSV 2 oral and HSV 1 genital disease. Do not worry much about these. Focus on your diet.
  • Immune system booster diets you need are red bell peppers, broccoli, garlic, ginger, spinach, almonds, yogurt, cashew, turmeric, green tea, berries, citrus fruits, kiwi, apples, red grapes, kale, onions, sweet potatoes, carrots, old fashioned chicken soups and shiitake mushroom.
  • These foods have got miraculous effects on patients of this category and I have a wide variety of experience on observing improvements in my patients. Most of my patients name them as the magic foods.
  • Avoid steroids as much as you can. It lowers immunity and infection pop back up.
  • No, it is not aggressive strain. It is actually your immune system that is unable to fight at this time.
  • Avoid sexual intercourse, especially unprotected as this may complicate the disease process with superadded infections like HIV. I preferably suggest you to get tested for HIV too, as this will give us a baseline knowledge that you do not have HIV right now.
  • Your HSV will die down and you will be fine once again. Just remain fixed to your treatment regimen and keep a judicious supply of clean drinking water.
  • Take proper rest and keep balanced daily life activities. Take a good sleep and also try yoga, meditation and relaxation exercises. They are all immunity boosters.

I appreciate your quick responses to my questions. Since being diagnosed I have not been able to get the right answers about this disease. I will schedule an appointment to get a HIV test done. My follow up questions are does Valtrex weaken the immune system? I am currently on 1 g twice a day for two weeks. Then, 500 mg daily for six months. Does that seem like a good suppressive therapy to you? Also, do you recommend any supplements or herbs, to go along with fruit and vegetable intake? I am currently taking a multivitamin, zinc, vitamin C, lysine and magnesium along with the Valtrex. Again, I thank you so much for this knowledgeable information. It has helped put my anxiety at ease.

#

Your words of appreciation mean a lot to me as a physician. I am always here to help you answer the queries you have regarding your health. I hope you get well soon.

• It is a good idea to get tested for HIV and I hope it comes back negative. Good luck for that and waiting for the results from your side.
  • Valtrex does not actually suppress immunity. It lowers the white blood cell though, which are the cells to fight against pathogens. But, this is the medication to fight against the viral load in the body.
  • So, there is no harm at large in taking this medication as there is a very small population that may get this kind of side effect.
  • Yes, your treatment regimen sounds good until you remain confined to the schedule and do not miss any dose of medication.
  • No extra supplemental herbs are actually needed. Your diet is enough to take care of the immune system.
  • You are taking the very appropriate multivitamin containing all the ingredients of macro and micronutrients. Keep taking that.
  • Avoid alcohol and cigarettes as they may cause deranged liver function that in conjunction with the Valtrex is not good for your liver and body.
  • Liver is the key factor in maintaining body's immune system and strength. It is the organ of detoxification in the body.

|