Q. Do I need to take medicine for high cholesterol?

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2020

I do not have any health issues. But, my cholesterol level is high at 220. Do I need to take any medicine? Please let me know. I have attached my laboratory reports for your reference.

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

General Medicine Internal Medicine Nephrology
#

• Yes, you should be started on statins preferably Atorvastatin 10 mg at bedtime and also low fat diet and regular exercise for 30 minutes daily.
  • Are suffering from any other disease than high cholesterol? Are you hypertensive or diabetic? What is your age?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

I am not hypertensive or diabetic. My age is 35. My weight is 86 kg and height is 6 feet. Please check for the attached report.

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

#

• Considering your age, I would suggest you to avoid fatty foods and do exercise.
  • I suggest tablet Storvas 10 mg (Atorvastatin) at bedtime and repeat the test after three months. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Tablet Fenofibrate is used for treatment of hypertriglyceridemia (high triglyceride level). It is borderline in your test report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But, we will decide to start that after three months if it is not reduced by diet and exercise.

Revert back after three months to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|