Q. Do I need to take medicine for high cholesterol?

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
Published on Jul 29, 2016

I do not have any health issues. But, my cholesterol level is high at 220. Do I need to take any medicine? Please let me know. I have attached my laboratory reports for your reference.

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

General Medicine Internal Medicine Nephrology
#

• Yes, you should be started on statins preferably Atorvastatin 10 mg at bedtime and also low fat diet and regular exercise for 30 minutes daily.
  • Are suffering from any other disease than high cholesterol? Are you hypertensive or diabetic? What is your age?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I am not hypertensive or diabetic. My age is 35. My weight is 86 kg and height is 6 feet. Please check for the attached report.

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

#

• Considering your age, I would suggest you to avoid fatty foods and do exercise.
  • I suggest tablet Storvas 10 mg (Atorvastatin) at bedtime and repeat the test after three months. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Tablet Fenofibrate is used for treatment of hypertriglyceridemia (high triglyceride level). It is borderline in your test report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But, we will decide to start that after three months if it is not reduced by diet and exercise.

Revert back after three months to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I want to know about my overall health check up report. Please suggest.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 38 years old. I got my blood test done for an overall health checkup. I am attaching my reports. I can see my heart and cardiology reports are not good. Can you please tell me whether there is anything abnormal?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your urine examination is normal. Your uric acid level is high, for that you are advised to take more vegetables and fruits and less meat (take low proteins in diet). Liver enzymes are...  Read Full

Is cholesterol level of 299 too high?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I have checked my lipid profile and sugar. The results are total cholesterol 229, HDL 53, LDL 150, BP 130/90 mmHg and sugar 104. Are these results fine? Let me know whether I have any heart disease. For cholesterol I am taking Triglize. Kindly give few suggestions to lowe...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your total cholesterol target should be 150. Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) should be below 100 and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) in range of 50 to 60. Your blood sugar is normal. Right now you do not seem to have heart condition and your slightly raised blood pressure is...  Read Full